cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC SIM Card

uyyut123
I'm a participant level 2

When will Fido have NFC SIM cards available? 

***Edited to add labels***

39 REPLIES 39

Armani
I'm a contributor level 2

This is really dissaponing, you are absolutely right, its been a year! Sad

I'm hoping that NFC SIM cards are available eventually. Be great to tap and pay using a phone.

Armani

I just saw some great new regarding future NFC sim card availabilty for Fido customers on a Rogers Forum by a Rogers Rep. It's really strange that Fido Reps have no idea here!!!

Check the comments section of the post:

http://redboard.rogers.com/2015/06/23/were-bringing-the-suretap-wallet-to-all-of-canada/#comment-798...

rogers.JPG

hey_tommy
I'm a participant level 3

That NFC SIM cards are "on the roadmap" is not in question - it's simply inevitable, in the same way that LTE was slowly introduced and became a defacto standard. Both Bell and Telus' value sub-brands, Virgin and Koodo, already offer NFC SIM's, as does Rogers Wireless itself. I don't know about Wind/Mobilicity/etc, but if they don't yet have NFC SIMs, it's only a matter of time before they do.

Mobile payments aren't going anywhere BUT forward - and since NFC SIM cards are a prerequisite (they're involved in the encryption chain), it's only a matter of time before Fido has no choice but offer them.

As far as the market, the competition, and all of us are concerned, that time is NOW. RogersCo, however, are taking their sweet time, because... well, because they can. What probably started off as a feature differentiation between premium and value brands (i.e. Rogers & Fido) when NFC SIMs were first introduced 2+ years ago, now just looks like poor prioritization / lazyness on RogersCo/Fido's part.

Question now is - how many more months/years until this tortoise crawls to the finish line?

Armani

It was in question for me because there was no indication anywhere from Fido. My problem was not with the nature of the task but with the lack of knowlegde from Fido employees.. 

Now at least we know its in works but yes they are really slow at an unacceptable rate. Pretty much every other carrier has it now except maybe Wind.   

ciao_hi
I'm a contributor level 1

The banks are now starting to adopt HCE (host card emulation) and moving away from NFC SIMs (RBC was first, now TD), so the point of having/not having NFC SIMs maybe moot.

Apple Pay also does not use NFC SIMs.

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

I already asked on the French-speaking forums, but there isn't much activity over there:

What are the advantages of NFC payment over just using a credit card? From what I can find, none. It's easier/faster to use a credit card and I still need to carry that card anyway because there's a limit on contact-less payments.

I have no objections to NFC payment; I just can't see a scenario where I'd be using it.

JFairweather

A representative with TD technical support just confirmed that the only providers they support are Bell/Telus/Rogers.  Kodoo, Fido or any other discount providers aren't compatible at this time.  I requested they add Fido, and he said they were working on it, but no ETA at this time.

That would be nice if Fido introduces the NFC SIM Card. TD bank hooks up with Rogers while RBC hooks up with Bell. Fido should do the same as Rogers. Other than file/calendar/pictures transfer, the NFC should be widely used for tap-to-pay. For now, Tim Horton is the only place where I can tap my Blackberry Z10 to pay. I would like to use NFC payment for more stores.

Roskov
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but isn't there services like google wallet or I heard paypal wallet or many others similar services that you can link to your bank account or credit card? So you use those services instead? I'm not talking about some random app on the internet, im talking about google or paypal.

But again, I never used NFC but I get how it works, but wouldn't  apps like google wallet or similar be a workaround?

kenshin33
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

Google wallet (tap and pay) is not available in canada. as toi this NFC sim? what is is exactely? the link prvided is just marketing BS (nice secure and unicorns) , no technicalities (how does it work? why the need for a that special SIM card ..etc).

Oh by the way, want NFC thinggies? plenty of cards (physical separate cards) that do that, why not use them (as in the end you need a credit/debit card to tie to, no matter what). From safety POV: something about eggs, and a basket. 

mikekay

Another classic -- We pay less so we dont get anything.

Was hoping I could add my visa id on wifes phone for points!

eresc

I can see that Rogers sells nfc sim cards:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/suretap?setLanguage=en

When will fido sell NFC sim cards?

No info on that yet!

Seb855
Galaxy s5 doesnt seems to be supported with td yet . But if fido doesnt have nfc sim card when it will im switching to telus . Kinda sucks that fido always get the goodies months after rogers when its the same company ! I just like having those gadget and nfc payment with my phone is too cool to stay with fido .

FidoRachel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey uyyut123, no word on that yet. If we have any updates, it'll be posted on Fido.ca. 

Click on the thumbs up image description of the photo to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for; it'll help our community grow stronger. 

uyyut123
The NFC sim card is required for mobile credit card payment with TD bank. Rogers (Fido's parent company) offers them. Please Google it.

SunnyGhat

What do you mean by NFC sim cards? 

There are no NFC Sim cards on the market globally, and would make little sense to have these.  NFC cards and NFC phones are already on the market.