cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOCKED SIM?

Sed8ed96
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

My daughters 3G iphone is displaying 'Locked SIM'.

She said she sync'ed/updated the phone via iTunes and now it locked the sim.

Any ideas? The screen banner says to call the service provider. Uh huh...

My old Rogers SIM is ok but the Fido is a no go. Any ideas?

***Edited to add labels***

1 REPLY 1

FidoJohn
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello Sed8ed96,

Welcome to the Fido technical community,

As per your description; this device appears to be unlocked. Please make sure you try a different Fido activated sim card in this device to see what happens first.

"Locked SIM" in this case doesn't mean that the iPhone itself is locked. What it actually means is that your SIM card is locked with a PIN, or passcode.

Normally, the iPhone should prompt you to enter this information to unlock your SIM card. If it is not doing this, you can try to force it to do either by attempting to make an outbound phone call, or checking your SIM card settings under Settings, Phone.

Note that if you enter the wrong PIN code too many times, your SIM card will be permanently locked, and you will have to call your carrier to get a PUK code to unlock it. If you get to the point where you're being asked for a PUK code, do not try to guess it. There are only a limited number of PUK attempts that are permitted before the SIM is permanently disabled.

If you are still seeing "Locked SIM" but not being prompted for any kind of PIN or PUK code, then it's possible the SIM itself is defective and/or permanently locked out. You can try it in a different phone if you have one, and see if that helps, but otherwise you may need to get a new one from your carrier.

I hope this helps,