cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G7 One SMR's

hawkbat05
I'm a participant level 2

I picked up the LG G7 One because it is an Android One device and marketed that it will receive monthly security updates (SMR's). Well I've had the device since the launch day (Oct 19th). I have yet to get any security updates and we're now halfway through November. And in fact, the device shipped with the September patch level so was out of date the day I got it. That I can understand since the device was likely loaded and shipped to retailers before Oct.

What I can't understand is how LG has posted their SMR's for Oct and Nov (https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html) but neither of these have been made available to LG G7 One owners on Fido. Why am I not getting the security updates as promised? The carrier does have a role to play in getting the updates out (afaik).

13 REPLIES 13

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hawkbat05,

Welcome to the community!

I think you'll have to contact LG Canada regarding the availability of security updates. They're the ones who would provide it to the mobile providers.

I understand that link you provided shows October and November security updates. However, that list does not necessarily include the Canadian versions of phones. In addition, you'll note that the page only specifies G5 and G6 for that series. Furthermore, it does not appear that the G7 One is available on the LG (USA) website. It's likely that LG Security Bulletin page won't be updated with the G7 One information.

According to Fido's OS Upgrade Schedule, Android P for the G7 One should be coming soon. It's possible security updates will be included with that update.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

hawkbat05

What I'm looking for is a statement from Fido as to whether LG has provided them with the SMR's or not. I will be contacting LG separately because I want to determine who is the cause of the delay. I don't want finger pointing from each entity blaming each other. I just want my SMR updates.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)

@hawkbat05 wrote:

What I'm looking for is a statement from Fido as to whether LG has provided them with the SMR's or not. I will be contacting LG separately because I want to determine who is the cause of the delay. I don't want finger pointing from each entity blaming each other. I just want my SMR updates.

Hey @hawkbat05,

I can confirm that the P-OS update will be paired with the November SMR. A minor issue with the software arose which is causing a bit of a delay, but you can expect regular monthly SMRs with your G7 One going forward.

hawkbat05

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will keep an eye out for the Android Pie update. Hopefully LG has sorted out the update schedule going forward. I do understand that this is their first Android One program device and monthly updates are a challenge, but they are not impossible.

FidoStephen

@hawkbat05 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will keep an eye out for the Android Pie update. Hopefully LG has sorted out the update schedule going forward. I do understand that this is their first Android One program device and monthly updates are a challenge, but they are not impossible.

Hey @hawkbat05, the P-OS & November SMR are just about ready. Rollout will begin on November 26. Enjoy Smiley

a04tbaba

Hey man, I found a bug/issue with the update that came out. Where can I communicate this to somebody for a potential fix?

Hey @a04tbaba!

What kind of bug are you experiencing? Could you provide us more details?

a04tbaba

Hey @FidoAmanda

So the Gboard (Google keyboard) has a one hand function and the icons to switch sides/revert to the full keyboard is partially hidden. This is one of the two default keyboards that come with the phone. I prefer to use it because it has some additional features the LG keyboard does not. I'll attach a screenshot for reference. (Hold enter to switch to this mode)The part on the leftThe part on the left

Woah, that's a weird one. Is the same thing happening on both sides? Does a reboot help? 

a04tbaba

It didn't but you know what, clearing the data of the app did! Soo disregard what I said lol. Thanks Smiley

Amazing! Happy to hear that you were able to figure it out! Smiley

ravedave2
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

you could try downloading LG Bridge on your PC and plugging your phone in to see if there's any update for it

I have an LG G7 and had no update on it since the summer and when i asked on LG Canadas facebook page about security updates they simply replied that they do not have to release them on a regular basis, after i responded how Samsung and Huawei and others are stepping up their game and its sad to see LG is not, they deleted my comments ...

(however my G7 got an update a week or so ago with the October security patch) 

even if its an Android One phone from LG, i wouldn't count on regular updates from them 😕

@Cawtau thanks🙂

Hey @hawkbat05

As much as we'd love to give you more details about the OS Upgrade , we have not received any updates at this moment. 

All the upcoming updates will be found here

You can also contact LG Canada directly for more info!