cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Galaxy A3 (2017) compatible with the Fido Network?

Kris6
I'm a contributor level 1

In Surrey BC

7 REPLIES 7

Kris6

Hi I just tried to activate this phone but it is not working.

I went to a Fido store and they couldn't get it working.

They asked me to contact tech support to see check if there are any specific settings that will make it work.

Hello again,

What do you mean by it's not working? Do you get any error messages? Does it connect to the network at all?

Where did you get the phone? I understand it is the SM-A320F/DS. Do neither of the SIM slots work?

Since that model was not intended for the North American market, it's possible that there is a region lock in place (see here). Note that this lock is different from network lock so it may still be in place even if the phone is so-called unlocked. That said, the article notes that they are not aware if Samsung region locks dual SIM versions.

Have you verified that the Network Mode is set to GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE? Have you verified that the phone has the proper APN setting? You can verify those settings here. Note that since the phone is a dual SIM version, there may separate settings for each SIM.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Kris6

No error message, but not connecting to network.

Says not registered with network when attempting an outgoing call.

Incoming calls go straight to voicemail.

Phone was purchased from Amazon (seems to be imported from Middle East)

The Fido rep at the store did check the settings but

I will verify the settings and get back to you Smiley

Hello again,

Thanks for the additional information!

Have you verified that the phone is using the most up to date operating software?

I'm not sure how relevent these sites (here, here, and here) are, but they might provide some helpful information or suggestions to try.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Kris6

IT WORKED!!

So I did 2 things:

• Updated the Android software
  • Inserted the SIM in slot #2 (instead of #1) and selected LTE/3G/2G network WHILE the Phone was ON.

Thanks for the help!

Awesome! That's great to hear!! Smiley

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Kris6,

Just with any of the Samsung mobile phone models, that would depend on the version of the phone model. That said, it does not seem like there is a Canadian or North American version (see here and here).

Judging by these specifications:

• 2G GSM GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900
  • 3G UMTS B1(2100), B2(1900), B5(850), B8(900)
  • 4G FDD LTE B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B20(800)
  • 4G TDD LTE B40(2300)

~ taken from here.

That phone (at least the SM-A320F version) has all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone would only have one compatible band/frequency, band 7 or 2600MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone should work on the the LTE network, coverage depends on the availability of that band/frequency on your surrounding cellular towers as not all towers use all bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers