cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is FDD-LTE the same as AWS?

Hb3
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Will phones that support FDD-LTE 2100/1800/2600MHz or TD-LTE 2570-2620/1880-1920/2300-2400MHz work on Fido's 4G LTE (AWS) network?

Secondly, is FDD synonymous with AWS?

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@Hb3 wrote:

Will phones that support FDD-LTE 2100/1800/2600MHz or TD-LTE 2570-2620/1880-1920/2300-2400MHz work on Fido's 4G LTE (AWS) network?

Secondly, is FDD synonymous with AWS?

Hello Hb3,

Welcome to the forums!

To answer your second question first, no FDD is not synonymous with AWS. Frequency Division Duplex (FDD) and Time Division Duplex (TDD) are two methods of simultaneous two-way communication for data transfer (full-duplex). Frequency division uses two separate communication channels (frequencies) while time division uses a single frequency band to transmit and receive. Then it shares that band by assigning alternating time slots to transmit and receive operations. So FDD and TDD are not compatible with each other.

There might be come confusion because FDD frequencies are often referred to as a single frequency (ie 2600MHz) when in fact they actually refer to two subsets of frequences (ie UL 2500 – 2570MHz; DL 2620 – 2690MHz).

The exeption would be Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) which is often referred to as 1700/2100MHz (occasionally as 1700MHz) because the subsets are relatively far apart.

As you can imagine, there can be an number of different frequency subsets within any given frequency. To avoid confusion, specific frequency subsets are given band numbers. For example, UL 2500 – 2570MHz; DL 2620 – 2690MHz (2600MHz from above) is band 7. To illustrate this potential confusion, bands 12, 13, 14, 17, 28, and 29 all have subsets in the 700MHz region. **edit** ...and are not compatible with each other.

So AWS refers to a specific band using frequency duplex division, band 4. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

To answer your first question, a phone which supports FDD-LTE 2100/1800/2600MHz will only have one compatible LTE band/frequency. While the phone would work on the LTE network, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Not all bands/frequencies were deployed everywhere LTE is available.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoManuel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey Hb3!

Welcome to the Community!

I know for sure that the phone supporting FDD-LTE 2600 MHz would work on our network. A phone supporting TD-LTE would not work on our network. 

I'll refer you to this existing topic that has a lot of details about our LTE bands.

Hope this helps Wink