cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Support for Huawei Mobile Devices

GatineauRoss1
I'm a contributor level 2

I want a new phone from Fido if the android operating system for my Huawei phone will no longer be supported by Google!

26 REPLIES 26

aihmar
I'm a participant level 2

Huawei dont have update anymore soon. Do we able to trade or swap our existing huawei? Will it cost as for doing it?

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @aihmar!

We moved your post to this thread as it deals with the same topic. 

Your phone will still be getting updates. Huawei Canada and Google have confirmed that existing Huawei devices will still get security updates and these devices are still able to get Google Apps updates and Android dispatches. 

We do hope this helps Smiley 

GatineauRoss1

Fido, Huawei Canada and Google need to very clear and confirm what existing Huawei phone (device) costumers will receive? 

Will it be "Updates" or "Upgrades" or "Both"?

V65magnafan
I'm a participant level 3

Huawei Canada and Huawei Mobile Canada  are new Twitter accounts. Most likely, it will give us the most accurate, up-to-date info. 
Here is a statement from May 23 from Huawei Canada Tw acct. 

“Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.”

No news can be considered accurate until at least the third version of events, IMO. The word "Google" does not appear in the release. 

Then, there's this...(And lots of stuff is going on in the background as well.)
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/05/23/googles-decision-to-revoke-huaweis-android-license.aspx

Hey everyone, 

We understand your concerns and Google stated that basic services would still function on the Android operating system used in Huawei's current smartphones and existing smartphone owners would not lose access to its Google Play app store or security features.

Therefore, if you have a Huawei smartphone, you will continue to have access to Google apps. Google has also said that services like Google Play and the security protections from Google Play Protect will continue to function on existing Huawei devices.

Huawei Canada has also announced it will continue to provide security updates and after sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphones, and to tablets that have already been sold or are still in stock globally.

You will also still be able to get Google Apps updates and Android dispatches.

If you have specific questions about Google’s announcement or Huawei’s operations, it would be best to contact them directly for further information.

Huawei will announce the support status of Android Q shortly, so please keep an eye out for Huawei’s announcement or reach out directly to Huawei Canada.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

What happened to all the Chicken Little “the sky is falling” brigade since the repeal of any ban? Fido, Google and Huawei had zero influence on this situation so crying about any of them was pointless. In fact, Google went to bat on Huawei’s behalf to lift any ban. 

Chris_G

The future of Huawei looks very grim and judging from posts in the other forums existing Huawei customers might be left out in the cold. A long list of partners such as Arm and SD just dropped them to satifsfy the Trump ban. What is Fido's stance for their existing customers who have an Honor or Huawei phone, especially after Aug 13? Will I be stuck paying out my contract for a new phone as well any additional costs? 

Hey @Chris_G,

I've moved your post here, you'll be able to get all the information we have available at this time in the solution.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

I'm sorry, you WANT a Huawei device if it's not supported by Google? I'm confused! Exactly why do you want a lame duck OS without updating? 

GatineauRoss1

Let me be absolutely clear.  I want a new (Non-Huawei) phone from Fido if the android operating system for my Huawei phone will no longer be supported by Google!

That is I want my Huwaei phone replaced by Fido for a different brand! 

I hope that is clear to the discussion group.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hey good job editing your original post btw. 🙄

V65magnafan

At this time, the Huawei-Google story is based from Reuters "sources" .

The "sources" must be verified, and/or more clear before Huawei owners should panic. 

azdoune

No it's confirmed by Google and Huawei.

Hello everyone! I hope you're all doing well. Smiley

Huawei Canada has announced it will continue to provide security updates to all existing Huawei smartphones and tablets already sold or still in stock globally.

GatineauRoss1

Is Huawei Canada referring specifically to Google security updates?

What about Google Apps?

Hello @GatinewuRoss1

You will still have access to Google Apps as well.

azdoune

Here the deal.

You can still access goggle apps until a new Android update.

If you want upgrade to Android 10, it will be without Google apps, no more  playstore etc...

GatineauRoss1

Yeah...that's not acceptable.  Why should I continue to pay for an Android (Huawei) phone and not be entitled to the new Android 10 OS.

I repeat I want a new phone from Fido if the new Android 10 operating system for my Huawei phone will no longer be supported by Google!

azdoune

It's now officially announced. Huawei has been removed from Android 10 upgrade program by Google.

PB
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

There's been a lot of misinformation on this topic (and also a lot of changes since the news was originally broken).  For instance, there's currently a three months reprieve on the ban.

This seems to be one of the best source of information at this time, as they are updating it as new development occur.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-revoke-huawei-android-ban-blacklist/