cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy SII GT-i9100 Problem on Fido Network

LYUT
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, I'm aware that Fido doesn't support this phone on their network, but was wondering if anyone found a work around to get it working?

Right now I have the Bell Jelly Bean stock firmware (4.1.2), and I can connect to the 2G network.  However, I can't get any data transmission on 3G or above.  Sometimes it will display the 3G icon, but there is no data transmission.  The APN I am using is the one suggested on the FAQ (fido-core.appl1.apn) and settings are the same, so that shouldn't be the problem.

A possible solution might be in changing the baseband firmware.  I've actually tried quite a few different ones (modem.bin): KI1, KG3, KH3, LD3 and MA5 (current).  But none of these give me 3G connectivity.

My next step is to root and try different modem+ril 

Anyway thought I'd post this and see if anyone has dealt with this problem before I potentially brick my phone.

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@LYUT wrote:

Hi, I'm aware that Fido doesn't support this phone on their network, but was wondering if anyone found a work around to get it working?

Right now I have the Bell Jelly Bean stock firmware (4.1.2), and I can connect to the 2G network.  However, I can't get any data transmission on 3G or above.  Sometimes it will display the 3G icon, but there is no data transmission.  The APN I am using is the one suggested on the FAQ (fido-core.appl1.apn) and settings are the same, so that shouldn't be the problem.

A possible solution might be in changing the baseband firmware.  I've actually tried quite a few different ones (modem.bin): KI1, KG3, KH3, LD3 and MA5 (current).  But none of these give me 3G connectivity.

My next step is to root and try different modem+ril 

Anyway thought I'd post this and see if anyone has dealt with this problem before I potentially brick my phone.

Hello LYUT,

The obvious question: Is the phone unlocked? That particular phone has all of the compatible frequencies for Fido/Rogers' 2G and '3G' networks. I have seen some other unlocked phones with Bell stock firmwares working fine with Rogers. I would assume that a Bell stock firmware should also work fine with Fido as long as the phone is unlocked. You might be stuck with some of the Bell apps, but the phone should have access to both 2G and '3G' on Fido/Rogers.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Tru
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

For any of you who would like to use an unlocked device with our network, best thing I can advise you to do would be to look at this page. From there you will be able to see our network compatibility information and also the internet settings needed by the device to use data.

Hope it helps!

Jaliy82
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1
Factory reset with the fido SIM card in the phone
Let the phone pick up the new setting

FidoStephane

@Community: 

Anyone?