cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring unlocked Sony Expria for prepaid account

ryocchin
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello, I have Fido prepaid phone account and I am thinking of buying unlocked Sony Xperia XA and trnasfer this prepaid account.

XPeria XA

I understand that devices must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:

• 700 MHz on Band 17;
    • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
    • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

The speccification of Xperia XA is;

UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20).

It seems that this phone can be configured for my prepaid account.

If I buy this phone on amazon or somwhere and bring it to fido store, will they help me to transfer my account to this phone? 

I appeciate any comment or suggestion.

Thank you in advance.

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ryochin,

Welcome to the community!

@ryocchin wrote:

XPeria XA

The speccification of Xperia XA is;

UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20).

It seems that this phone can be configured for my prepaid account.

Judging by those specifications, that phone would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone only has one compatible band/frequency, band 7 or 2600MHz. You are correct in that the phone should work on the Fido networks, however, coverage for LTE could be limited since it depends on matching bands/frequencies on your surrounding towers and not all towers use all bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of the bands/frequencies at your surrounding towers here.

In addition to the LTE bands/frequencies you noted above, Fido/Rogers also uses band 12 (700MHz) in some areas (see here).

If you are satisfied with only one LTE band/frequency (and the possibility of limited LTE coverage) you can certainly use the phone on the networks. As noted above, your account information is provided in the SIM card. If your previous phone uses the same sized SIM card, you can simply insert that SIM into your new phone and it should be good to go. You may have to verify the APN settings. On the other hand, if your old phone uses a different sized SIM, you can purchase a new SIM and contact Fido to transfer the account. I don't think it's possible to update a prepaid SIM online.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ryocchin

Hello, 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @ryocchin welcome to the community!

All you will have to do is insert your SIM card in the new phone (providing the SIM size is the same if not then you will have to get a new SIM) and configure the APN for Fido you can get that info here.

Also something you should note from the specs you provided that phone will only have 1 compatible LTE band for the Fido network.

ryocchin

Hello, Kapable-K

Thank you very much for answering so quickly. It was very helpful. I will get this phone Smiley