Bought a subsidized iPhone 4 at launch, so about 15 months ago, and have now bought an unlocked 4S through Apple. I want to give the 4 to my sister so she can use it on Rogers. Has anyone managed to convince Fido to unlock their iPhone while still in a contract?
***Edited to add labels***
Solved! Go to Solution.
I just came across this thread and I thought I'd provide some updated information about the unlocking procedure in case anyone else were to come across this and had a similar question.
- Now, to unlock your device, your account must be in good standing and must satisfy one of the following criteria:
- A $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) applies. It will appear on your next invoice or will be deducted from your Prepaid balance.
- Unlocking your device via Fido will not void your manufacturer’s warranty.
- Only Fido devices can be unlocked by Fido. If you have an unlocked device from another carrier, see how to configure it to work with Fido.
- Unlocking your device will not terminate your Fido service or Fido Agreement, all aspects of your service remain unchanged.
I hope this helps!
No, Fido won't unlock it until you complete your contract.
One thing you could try would be to have your sister call Rogers and ask for the unlock dept. She should explain the situation, that she was given a Fido iPhone and wants to use it with Rogers, since she is a Rogers customer. They are able to unlock it, it is just a matter whether 'Rogers' will agree. I say 'Rogers' because the unlock team are the same for Fido and Rogers. Some people have had luck with this request. The unlock fee is $50.