cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get Fido to unlock my iPhone 4 while still in contract?

Regder
I'm a participant level 2

Bought a subsidized iPhone 4 at launch, so about 15 months ago, and have now bought an unlocked 4S through Apple. I want to give the 4 to my sister so she can use it on Rogers. Has anyone managed to convince Fido to unlock their iPhone while still in a contract?

Thanks

***Edited to add labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Amanda1
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone! 

I just came across this thread and I thought I'd provide some updated information about the unlocking procedure in case anyone else were to come across this and had a similar question. :smileyhappy:

- Now, to unlock your device, your account must be in good standing and must satisfy one of the following criteria:

• If you received a rebate associated with a Fido agreement on your Fido device, that device must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.
    • If you personally purchased your device from Fido and did not receive any rebate on it, then it must be registered in your account.
    • If you purchased your device from a third party, it must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.

- A $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) applies. It will appear on your next invoice or will be deducted from your Prepaid balance.

- Unlocking your device via Fido will not void your manufacturer’s warranty.

- Only Fido devices can be unlocked by Fido. If you have an unlocked device from another carrier, see how to configure it to work with Fido.

- Unlocking your device will not terminate your Fido service or Fido Agreement, all aspects of your service remain unchanged.

I hope this helps! 

Dash
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Go to 1 of the hundreds of cellphone stores and unlock it for 20 bucks. Start using it.

Regder
Good idea on calling Rogers instead of Fido, will give that a shot.

Unfortunately phone is on the latest baseband, otherwise I would have gone with a Gevey sim

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2
Unless it has a very old baseband you'd better find a magical unlocking store.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

No, Fido won't unlock it until you complete your contract. 

One thing you could try would be to have your sister call Rogers and ask for the unlock dept. She should explain the situation, that she was given a Fido iPhone and wants to use it with Rogers, since she is a Rogers customer. They are able to unlock it, it is just a matter whether 'Rogers' will agree. I say 'Rogers' because the unlock team are the same for Fido and Rogers. Some people have had luck with this request. The unlock fee is $50.