cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BrightStar is not keeping their part.

TalwinderSingh
I'm a participant level 3

I bought a phone of company named OnePlus and fido gave me premium device protection. Since then i am paying around 13$ per month and never skipped a payment. On 9th of august unfortunately i lost my device and contacted brightstar on monday (10th of august) and first they told me that they dont have any company name or device name on my account. After making back and forth calls to fido as well as brightstar finally after 1 week they approved it and they intentionally downgraded my model (because they dont have the model that i was using) and i told them that its wrong. After another couple of days they told me that cant give me device and they offered me a comparable device and today they told me that they dont have any device comparable to one is was using so I HAVE TO TAKE A REIMBURSeMENT which is half the price i paid for device and i dont want to get the reimbursment and still they are forcing me to take reimbursment.

If i have to go with reimbursment then i have to pay from my pocket to get a new device.

I paid for device protection for like 2 years and the reimbursment i am getting is around 450$ i paid for device around 850$ and now anyone can do the math and just let me know which part of it is fair.

What is the point of getting an insurance if brightstar is going to do whatever they want...

On fido's part when i was given insurance they told me that if anything happens to device you will get a replacement device, i was never explained about getting a reimbursement.

PLEASE HELP ME, IT IS REALLY FRUSTRATING.

7 REPLIES 7

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello TalwinderSingh,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've lost your phone. I can understand you are upset about not having your device replaced under the device protection. However, you should note that OnePlus devices are not sold by any of the mobile providers or in local stores so they would be more difficult to obtain replacements. Most insurance companies would try to replace devices with as ones close to the protected devices as possible. With your case, it's a little unreasonable to expect a replacement device that was exactly the same as your device since sourcing a replacement device has proven to be difficult.

Brightstar does state:

Brightstar.jpg

~taken from here.

While you should have been provided the details when you purchased the protection, you can also view them here.

@TalwinderSingh wrote:...I paid for device protection for like 2 years and the reimbursment i am getting is around 450$ i paid for device around 850$ and now anyone can do the math and just let me know which part of it is fair....

They tried to locate a comparable device. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful. Since they were unable to fulfil the device replacement, they are reimbursing you the fees for the monthly protection. Doing the math, the ~$450 isn't to compensate for your phone, it's for the $13 per month you have paid for the device protection (approximately 30 months).

@TalwinderSingh wrote:...On fido's part when i was given insurance they told me that if anything happens to device you will get a replacement device, i was never explained about getting a reimbursement.

I don't think anyone at Fido would have expected that Brightstar wouldn't be able to find a comparable replacement device. That's likely why no one mentioned the possibility of getting the reimbursement. It's not unreasonable for a company to reimburse the monthly fees for a service if they cannot provide said service.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

TalwinderSingh

Thank you for backing up those scammers 

appreciate that fido

Brightstar was happy when they were having timely payments but when it comes to the part where they have to do their part they back off and you guys are supporting them.

If this is the case then when you guys sell device protection plans you must disclose all information and keep the customer in dark.

Now the situation is they are paying me 460$ and this device which i was using, is not available. So, i have to pay more from my pocket to buy a new device and this leads me to thinking that what is the point of having a insurance policy then??

Hey @TalwinderSingh, we're sorry you feel this way, we want to provide the best services to our customers. 

I have a small question, did you have this issue escalated through Brightstar? Were you able to speak to any supervisor? 

TalwinderSingh

I spoke with management team and they approved me for one plus 6 but my phone was one plus 6T and when i request them again they approved one plus 6T and told me that we dont have this device thats why we try to gave you one plus 6. Then they offered me their so called reimbursment but i insisted on having a phone and they told me ok we will give you comparable device and will call you back. But they didn't call me back so i called them next morning and got transferred to corporate team and that lady was soo rude. She forced me to take 460$ and told me that she is at the highest authority and i cant talk to anyone else and i have to take this money, thats it. She was not even listening to me. For conformation, you can ask them for the call recordings. I was willing to pay more deductible so that they can arrange me a new device but they didn't want to even listen to me.

Please advice me whom i can reach now to resolve this issue because its really frustrating and am tired of explaining my point again and again.

please help me out.

Hey @TalwinderSingh

I'm sorry to hear this, but unfortunately we cannot overrule their decision.

As mentioned by @Cawtau, the options they will provide will be based on what's available on their end. In your case, that would generally be a device replacement for something similar to your current device. 

That said, seeing as your issue was escalated. Did they not offer you any other device model? Have you refused other options and specifically requested the replacement to be an OnePlus 6T?

TalwinderSingh

They offered me oneplus 6 which is a downgrade for me but i refused to take it as this is kind of a cheating. Later they forced me to take reimbursement and told me that you can't talk to anyone else, we are the supreme authority and that's the end you have to take 460$.

I want to ask 1 simple question. If they can not buy a device for 460$ and that's why they are giving these bucks, how in the world will i be able to buy new phone?? That means i have to put more money from my pocket to buy a phone like the one i was using before.

If this is the case then what is the point of having device protection in first place????

I apologize for any confusion in the terms of that service.

You should have received a welcome kit from Brightstar when enrolling to the service. You can also find more details on their terms and conditions directly on their website as well.

The Device Protection provides extended device and accessory replacement and repair options, and like-for-like device replacement in case of damage, loss or theft (conditions vary by Province, loss and theft is not applicable for Qc).

It does not guarantee that you will receive the exact same device or model when submitting the claim. They will offer you the available options on their end, and you can reach out to them again to discuss/negotiate your options once more.

Should you prefer to purchase a new device instead, we can go over your options and see what's available for you. You can reach out to us at these channels to explore the current discounts and promotions available on the devices listed here.