cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are phones sold by Fido unlocked?

sanders333
I'm a participant level 3

I'm about to buy a Samsung S20 online (Fido.ca), and I'm just wondering if it's unlocked? In addition, are all phones sold by them unlocked? If not, how do you get them unlocked and for how much?

5 REPLIES 5

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @sanders333,

As of December 1-2017, CRTC made it so that cellphone customers can ask their provider to unlock their phones free of charge, at the same time, it said, all newly purchased mobile devices must be provided to customers unlocked.

So the S20 and every other phone come unlocked.

sanders333

Thanks again! Smiley

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Hello, follow-up question: I purchased my iPhone 8 from Fido on December 8, 2018. Please confirm if this iPhone is already unlocked or whether I need to call Fido and have it unlocked? I understand I can test my iPhone by inserting a different provider's SIM card, but I don't have another SIM. I find it confusing if iPhones sold by Fido already come factory unlocked or they are locked to Fido with the option to call and unlock free-of-charge. Basically, do iPhones sold by Fido come already unlocked or do we need to call and have them unlocked? Please advise, thank you.

All Fido phones whether iPhones or Androids, if they were purchased after December 1st 2017, it is most definitely unlocked.