arnoldmp
I'm a participant level 1

Will this be supported?

40 REPLIES 40

amineati
I'm a contributor level 1

Well stop looking at ways. There are plenty already technologically standardized, and market ready to telcos. One is to support Apple Watch, a device that has significant penetration rate among Canadians and worldwide. 

I'll switch my 3 lines right after my contract ends if not supported by then. 

loojoy
I'm a participant level 2

Then I will have to change carriers.  No reason Fido doesn't have a plan fir Apple WAtch

Hello @loojoy,

Welcome to the community!

We wouldn't want to see you go. You also have the option to connect your Apple Watch to your iPhone via Bluetooth. 

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

that's a laughable response. Buy a fancy LTE enabled $600 smartwatch and connect it via bluetooth? HILARIOUS

The only thing laughable and hilarious is someone spending $600 on a device and bringing it to a company that does not support it.

You guys have the option of going to one of the parent companies and pay the premium to use your device, you are with Fido for the price. If Fido can provide all the bells and whistles then we won't need them we can just call them Rogers.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Umm no it's laughable that in 2021 a smartwatch is considered to be some premium technology available only to a select few. I notice Fido certainly sells the TOTL smartphones from Apple and Samsung. Why aren't those classified as premium devices and forbidden by Fido? We all know it's Rogers trying to protect it's brand by forcing you into purchasing one of their plans. 

Not a smartwatch but a $600 smartwatch, of course, they sell the Samsung and Apple phones after all they are a cellphone service provider and now you are comparing devices when the topic is about services.

They provide the cellphones because they provide services for it, they do not provide LTE smartwatches because they do not provide the service it's that simple. 

First world problems eh! 

amineati

You should be ashamed of proposing such alternative. End users buy LTE markup on Apple watches and they understand the value of it, as opposed to using iPhones with regular Apple watches.

loojoy

The point of the cellular function is that I can go for a run without my phone 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Arnoldmp,

Fido does not currently offer any smartphone or Apple watch plans. If they later choose to offer those plans in the future, that update would be available on Fido.ca.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

amineati

Is there a plan in the next 12 months or no ?

ztaylor

Is there any plan to offer data sharing with the Apple Watch? Seems like Fido is the last carrier to get on board. Is this a tech/infrastructure thing or is Apple not allowing it?

Flowerca5

I was told it's Fido choice not to support apple watch.. I'm very disappointed I want one! Makes no sense Rogers support the watch 

Hello Ztaylor,

@ztaylor wrote:...Seems like Fido is the last carrier to get on board. ...

To which other providers are you comparing? As far as I am aware, none of the Big Three's flanker brands are offering Apple Watch support (see here). That's hardly last.

@ztaylor wrote:..Is this a tech/infrastructure thing or is Apple not allowing it?

I would say neither. The different levels of providers (Big 3, 1st level Flanker, 2nd level Flanker) offer different products and services. The flanker brands (Fido included), likely made a business decision not to offer cellular support for the Apple Watch.

Adding more devices to a provider's offering lineup necessarily increases their overhead costs, which in turn would lead to overall price increases for all of their customers. There's a reason there is generally a price differential between the different provider levels -- different plan and service offerings as well as reduced device options. Some 2nd level flankers don't even offer devices; they're SIM only. It's the same with other industries as well. Look at Loblaws and No Frills. Loblaws usually has more product selection, but No Frills tends to be on the whole cheaper for the same products.

People have stated that they aren't asking for Fido to carry the watches, but to only provide the service. Providing a service without giving options for some people to access that service does not make sense. If the service is offered, people will expect that they offer the watches as well. They can't offer one without offering the other.

I understand there is one flanker brand which is offering Apple watches. However, that situation is rather different. Freedom's parent company is not a National provider so they are also trying to compete with the Big 3 as well. While Freedom is also a regional provider, their reach is greater than their parent company. Interestingly, their parent company does not offer Apple Watches or its services.

Currently Fido does not offer any smartwatch or Apple watch plans. If they later choose to offer those plans in the future, that update would be available on Fido.ca.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

amineati

It is now established that every human being would have on average 6 connected devices to him. Welcome to IoT.

5G is no longer an utopia but a reality, yet to be monetized in the B2C but it has multiple viable revenue generating  applications business wise.

Apple watch is now closed to 8 years old.

and you're still advancing the argument that it is a burden for Fido to carry multiple devices and offerings for services around them ? On which planet do you live in my friend ?

if Fido can't keep up with the tendency, and it is important to remind that price wise Fido isn't competitive much, if not all (9$/GB, and 7$ for voicemail service) then Fido should just disappear soon.

Hello Amineati,

I can understand your interest in being able to use an Apple watch on the network. However, as mentioned previously, the different flanker brand levels offer different services. That's a business decision, not an inability to keep up. Taking from my earlier analogy, No Frills' decision to limit their offerings to keep customers' costs lower isn't their inablility to source products. Many people are accepting of fewer options for lower costs. Those who want more offerings will need to go to Loblaws for those additional items.

Why do you think most customers opted for the flanker brands over their parent counterparts? I'm pretty sure it had a lot to do with cost. The only way the flanker providers can limit their costs is to limit their offerings. As far as I am aware, none of the flanker brands are offering Apple watch (see here) or smartwatch devices or plans. You should note that the flanker brands are not currently offering access to 5G services either.

To clarify my earlier remarks regarding Freedom as a flanker brand, while they are owned by Shaw Communications, Shaw Mobile is the subsidiary of Freedom Mobile. So in this sense, Freedom Mobile is the parent division. As their flanker brand, Shaw Mobile does not offer Apple Watch plans either.

Fido tends to be competitive with their direct competition. You should note that the $7 is for the Premium or iPhone Voicemail Value Pack. There is a standalone Premium and iPhone Voicemail add-on which costs less. However, you would need to contact customer service in order to get that standalone add-on.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

brandoc
I'm a contributor level 2

i haven't tried this (yet) but with ios 14, apple launched a new thing that allows you to use a different carrier (any carrier you want, from my understanding) on the watch, even if the carrier you have on the iphone doesn't support apple watch. the caveat: you can't use the same apple ID on both devices. 

i may try this at some point. it's obviously much easier to do this if you have a close family member who has an iphone, although it should theoretically be possible for one person with one iphone and one cell watch to attempt this but again, you'll need two apple IDs

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Let us know if you find a way to pull this off. The CRTC really ought to be coming down on these carriers. Can't have access to certain technology unless you pick a specific carrier? Real free market economy we've got here in the People’s Republic of Canada.

brandoc

80% of the problem here is Apple actually. they created the watch's eSIM in such a way that only "apple approved carriers" (read: carriers that agreed to pay apple a commission fee on each new activation) can be downloaded by the user onto their own watch.

it's similar to carrier locking which is no longer legal in this country except in this case it's manufacturer locking.

amineati

And a different phone number ....