Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting from Canada to Italy number

Francesca1
I'm a participant level 2

Hello all,

I am wanting to send texts from my Canada number to a phone number in Italy.  I am not sure how I am supposed to imput the number.  Do I add 001 before the number, or just 1, or do I just imput the Country Code 39 then the local number?  Thank you for your help. 

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Ciao Francesca1,

Welcome to the community!

When dialling or texting international numbers, we must first include the International dialling prefix (IDP), followed by the Country calling code, followed by the phone number. The IDP is varies by country (see here). In Canada, the IDP is 011.  Since the IDPs vary by country, the International dialling prefix can be replaced by the plus symbol, +.

So the proper international texting format is + followed by Country Calling Code followed by Area Code followed by phone number.

OR

011 followed by Country Calling Code followed by Area Code followed by phone number.

Does Italy have area codes with preceding zeros? Some countries (ie Ireland) have zeros preceding their area codes which are used in Country, however are not included when using the international dialling/texting format.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Francesca1

Excellent!  Thank you for clearing that up for me. 

Francesca