cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

second date SIM card

mabuabed
I'm a participant level 2

I have a plan that includes 14 GB of data per month. I have a 2nd  device that needs to connect to the web and update some information a few times per day. Is there a way to get a second SIM card and use the data from my plan?

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mabuabed,

Welcome to the community!

As already mentioned, Fido does not offer any options to share data. From what you note, you would need a second line for your iPhone. At one point, Fido offered data-only (Data & Text) plans, however, I no longer see them on the website. I understand you have been directed to one of the 4GB for $10 plans. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if those options would be suitable given your situation. You should also note that plan is technically Fido's Tablet plan or Hotspot plan. Their intended usage is for Tablets or Hotspot devices. As far as I am aware, Fido was closing loopholes regarding those plans and started to limit usage plan to tablets or hotspots (see here). It may not be possible to use those plans with a smartphone.

If you would like to inquire as to whether the Data & Text plans are still available, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi @Cawtau , thanks for clearing that up for me. I learned another new thing today.  Something new every day 🙂

Hi again @mabuabed , I just found this on the fido website. 

https://www.fido.ca/lte-hotspots

If you read further down the page, there's information about a data only plan , 4gb for $10. Take a look at it and see if it's what you are looking for. It's available for eligible postpaid customers. Hope it helps you 

mabuabed

Hi,

I have another device (iphone11), I use it for emails and work only (no calls). So this device needs to connect to the internet most of the time. What I'm doing now I use my main device as a hotspot to share the internet. But I wish if I can have another sim card (data only) to be installed in my iphone

Hi @mabuabed , Fido doesn't have shared data plans, only additional lines added to your account. If I understand correctly,  you have another device with a different number that you are hoping to share your 14gb of data with. Are both devices with Fido? Can this be accomplished with a WiFi connection? Is it possible for you to use your main phone as a hotspot to allow your second device to connect to the internet? 

To use cellular data exclusively for your second device,  you would have to buy a data plan for it. If the second device is with another carrier, you would have to contact them about a data bucket. 

If there's more to this, maybe someone else can chime in with further suggestions for you. Regards 

mabuabed

Hi @Original_Lucy 

I have another device (iphone11), I use it for emails and work only (no calls). So this device needs to connect to the internet most of the time. What I'm doing now I use my main device as a hotspot to share the internet. But I wish if I can have another sim card (data only) to be installed in my iphone