Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving temporarily (1-year) in Yellowknife

cziejaey
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi

I will be moving to Yellowknife for 1-year and going back here in Vancouver.

Do you recommend getting a phone line there and permanently cut my fido line here or i can keep it since I'll be back after a year. 

Thank you 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Cziejaey,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, there do not appear to be any Fido/Rogers towers in the area:

Yellowknife.jpg

~taken from here.

While the roaming agreements do allow for Fido customers to roam on other Canadian networks (extended coverage; Fido-EXT), its usage is only meant on a temporary basis. The majority of your monthly usage would need to be on the Fido/Rogers networks. Since there are no Fido/Rogers towers in the area, you wouldn't be able to maintain a majority usage on your home network. So to use any services, your best option would be with Bell or their subsidiaries. Ice Wireless does offer service there, but Bell appears to have better coverage.

Do you have a reason you would like to stay with Fido upon your return (ie good plan you want to keep)? If not, but you want to keep your phone number, you might consider porting your phone number to your new provider. You should note though, that anyone from Yellowknife calling your ported number would likely incur long-distance charges. In addition, there are some situations (ie some building intercom buzz systems) where they can't make the long-distance call. You should also note that porting your number will cancel your account with Fido.

On the other hand, if you would like to return to your current plan with Fido, they do offer a temporary suspension for a fee. If you're eligible for the temporary suspension, you would need to contact customer service to have it set up. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they will also be able to access your account.

So you'll need to get a phone line which will allow you to use your services while you're in Yellowknife for the year. Whether you also cancel your Fido services is a decision only you can make. Do you want to keep your plan? Your phone number?... If you choose not to port your phone number or temporarily suspend your Fido line, you should note that you won't likely be able to get back your current phone number when you return.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers