cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage sending to wrong recipient

Fireram
I'm a contributor level 1

Today my wife called to ask if I had received her texts. I said no. Have not got any today. 

she said she sent me a few questions and a picture of a Christmas gift. 

and someone replied to her. " I think you have the wrong number. "

she was sending me the text on an iPhone 10 to my iPhone 7. 

she was continuing a previous iMessage chat. 

I replied to her with a short text and she got my reply right under the previous "wrong number" message from someone else. 

she sent me a screen shot. And it looks like I sent both. But I did not. 

glitch. ?? Or should I be concerned. ?? She is with Bell. I'm with Fido. 

4 REPLIES 4

Fireram

Hello. Thanks for the reply. 
The message was sent as an iMessage.
and received as an imesseg

and I think your correct. It's an Apple issue. 
not very secure. Obviously.   

maybe time for a blackberry comeback. 

I'll pursue it with Apple and if I get a reply, (doubtfully) I'll post it back here. 

take care. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Fireram,

To clarify, is your wife sending you iMessage or text messages? If they are iMessages, those messages go through Apple servers and not through mobile providers (except as data if not on Wifi) so it should not matter that you have different providers. If there is a glitch, that would be on Apple's end. You might consider contacting Apple to see if they have encountered a similar issue with other iPhone users.

From a quick search, it appears to be a common issue. Though I'm not sure if they are all related to the same cause:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8547157

https://www.altpress.com/news/apple-ios-12-update-imessage/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imessage-issue-with-sending-to-wrong-person.2141355/

I'm not that familiar with the idiosyncrasies of iOS or iMessages. Perhaps a more thorough search might provide some additional information.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Suzmar
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I'm having a similar issue.  My mother in law sent  a text message to me on my iphone  from her android phone.  I replied but for some reason, the reply went out as an imessage and ended up on my father in law's iphone! I think because I have my in-laws in my contacts together this may have been a factor. 

How can I ensure that when I reply to an SMS text it goes back out as an SMS text?

Hello Suzmar,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, I should mention that my experience with iPhones is not extensive. As far as I am aware, I don't think there is an easy way to send a text message to someone who is in your contacts as using iMessage. There is a workaround, but it only works if the iMessage cannot send. In order to force send a SMS, you would need to disable your phone's connection to Wifi and data. Without a data connection an iMessage will not send until that connection has re-established. Tapping and holding the message bubble should provide the option to Send as Text Message (see here).

I believe the iPhones automatically send text messages to non-iPhones. However, since you have your in-law contacts together, your phone might have assumed they were the same person and preferentially sent the iMessage to the iPhone associated with that contact. Separating your in-law contacts should allow you to send text messages to your mother-in-law without the need for the workaround since she has an android device.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers