cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to send email to text

rinalow
I'm a participant level 3

I tried send mymobilenumber@fido.ca, but I never get the SMS.  Is that something I need to setup in my device?

13 REPLIES 13

Private

Fido and Rogers email-to-SMS service is no longer available as of June 2023.  Email-to-text functionality was shut down for both Fido and Rogers customers without any warning. A call to customer service confirmed that.

Emails sent to YOURNUMBER@fido.ca bounce back as undelivered. The response from the remote server was:

421 Closing Transmission channel

The recipient server did not accept requests to connect.
rr-mail.fido.page.ca. 70.33.243.157: timed out

rr-mail.fido.page.ca. 70.33.243.156: timed out

rinalow

thank you both.

rinalow

will consider.  Thanks

Well,  I searched to find email to text as an add on and can't find it as an option to add it. I found text to home phone, but not email to text. I'm thinking that it is not offered anymore. I did read that from a 2017 post. Sorry I couldn't help you @rinalow 

Hello Original_Lucy,

Thanks for the shout-out! 😀

There are some add-on options which are not advertised on Fido.ca. For example, the Premium Voicemail-to-text and Call Forwarding are available as standalone add-ons, yet are not shown on the add-on page. Similar to the standalone add-ons, if the email-to-text service is still available, customer service would need to be contacted in order to add it.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

@rinalow I understand. Would you be able to subscribe to the service and try it and if it doesn't work, have them cancel it?

rinalow

@KAPABLE-K I tried customer service, they can't help, they can't even do a test for me.  @Original_Lucy I need to know if it is working before I subscribe.  I used to have it from Rogers, i was able to send email to text by mobilenumber@rogers.ca, when I receive the text message, it would tell me i have a email, click yes to read and would tell me i have to subscribe the service.  I didn't even get to that point with Fido.  NO text message at all.

Thanks @KAPABLE-K , I learned another thing this morning. The reason I didn't receive the email is that I don't subscribe to the service.  The emails were sent but not received because I didn't subscribe to it. #doh

@rinalow now we both know 😉

rinalow

thank you.  I want to test to see if it is really work before I add this add-on service, I tried to send myself but never get it from my mobile.  Not ever a message saying I have message waiting click yes to read something.

Hello, again @rinalow,

I don't think Fido would sell you an add-on that does not work, I do not see any reason it would not work on your end.

You would need to reach out to customer service and see if they have a way of your testing it to ensure it works, In the past, I've personally had some agents enabling a feature to test while on the phone with them.

I just sent text to email to myself and it worked. I then hit reply and the address was 1xxxxxxxxx@mms.fido.ca that was marked delivered but as of yet, I haven't received it.

I have a Windows PC and you can use a service called phone companion, but only when on same network, to answer texts and emails. But that doesn't seem to apply here. Also I receive text to email from friends but not the reverse. I'll look a bit further on this. Cheers

Good morning @rinalow , I see you are trying to send an email to text. I have been searching everywhere I can think of to figure that out. I tried forwarding an email to 1xxxxxxxxxx@sms.fido.ca. It appeared that it was sent but not delivered.

I also found posts from 2017 that the service was discontinued. 

I'm leaning towards ask an expert. @KAPABLE-K or @Cawtau ?

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @rinalow,

In order for it to work, you would need to register for the service through an add-on at a cost see here.