cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fido data roaming is there a maximum charge?

edhazer
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I often have used Fido Roam in Japan and for the price of $17 per day I get to use my phone and data exactly like in Canada with no limits.  But i'm in China now and it appears that some messages say "use your phone just like home" and other say 10MB daily bucket. $15/10MB over.

I ended up using nearly 1GB of data roaming today, which in Japan would be $17.

Am I really going to be billed over $1000 for my use today?  That seems insane.  I can't get fido support chat to work in china either so I can't find out.   You guys are my only lead.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Edhazer,

Unfortunately, I don't think we would be able to provide a definitive answer. You should note this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We would not have access to customer accounts.

As far as I am aware, the Fido Roam charge for both Japan and China are the same (see here). Though, the current rate might have increased based on your quoted cost. According to that page, the Fido Roam fee is charged for a maximum of 20 days per billing cycle (also per destination zone; see here).

That said, you would only have access to your normal allotments when abroad. Fido Roam lets you use your data, talk and text from your existing Fido post-paid mobile plan (taken from link above). As far as I am aware, Fido does not offer any unlimited data plans so there would also be limits on data usage when abroad as well. If you have exceeded your usual data allotment, additional usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. From what I can tell, the pay-per-use data rate is the $15 per 10MB you noted. It's possible you received that message because you have gone over your normal allotment.

The Wireless Code does stipulate a cap on data roaming charges. While I don't believe that cap applies to regular Fido Roam charges, I think it would apply any roaming data overages. Though, if you accepted that message and continued to use data, I'm not sure whether that cap would apply anymore.

For a more definitive answer given your specific situation, you would need to contact customer service. I understand you have not been able to access their Live chat. They do offer a contact number you can call from abroad. They can also be contacted via Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers