cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

device balance

jhosegood
I'm a participant level 2

i recently upgraded my phone and paid outright for it. not added to my bill. what is the device balance that is showing mean?  

thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

eraffel2892
Click here

im still having no luck finding it 😕

Hey @eraffel2892

What are you having trouble finding?

christine1234
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

What happens at the end of my contract?

Hello Christine1234,

Welcome to the community!

Most of the Canadian cellular providers offer subsidised plans. That is, the plans incorporate the phone subsidy into the small, medium, etc plans. At the end of your contract (or if you pay off the balance), the subsidy remains as a part of your plan should you wish to get another phone. You should note this system is different from financed plans offered by some providers of the US and Tabs (see here). With financed plans and Tabs, once your contract is finished, the financing and Tabs are also complete. Most Canadian providers do not use a finance model while a few only recently started to use the Tab model.

If you do not wish to subsidise another phone, you would need to switch to a current in-market Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) plan. Current in-market plans may or may not offer the same details as your current plan. If you do not request to switch to a BYOP plan, your plan would remain the same as during your contract, though it would be on a monthly basis.

If you later decide you wish to subsidise a phone after switching to a BYOP plan, you would have to take a subsidised plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch. Again, the plan details of that plan may or may not include the details of your previous subsidised plan (or 'current' BYOP plan).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

@christine1234 at the end of your contract you will be billed the same monthly charges you are paying now. Your plan will be a month to month which means Fido can increase the monthly fee because you have no contract. No contract means you can leave without having to pay any cancellation fees which is usually the remaining subsidy you got for the phone.

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @jhosegood

Welcome to the community Smiley

The amount you see on your account under device balance is the amount left on the subsidy you got on your phone when you signed your contract.  This amount goes down every month and will be at $0 at the end of your contract.

Hope it helps clarify the situation!