cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I still get incoming test message when I am aboard and have my date plan turned off

LM99
I'm a participant level 3

hello

I am just when I am aboarding and have my data plan and roaming charges turned off, can I still receiving incomg test message free of charge?

5 REPLIES 5

LM99

thanks.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @LM99,

Yes, you will still be able to receive text messages depending your device can connect to a partner network in the destination country. If the text message comes in as an MMS, RCS or any form that contains data it can trigger data usage and you will be charged for roaming.

You should note turning off data on your device does not completely stop data usage oftentimes the device still lets small amount of data through.

You can also opt out of the Fido Roam and you will only be charged based on usage, to opt out you will need to contact customer service directly and they will be able to do it for you.

LM99

thanks,

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello LM99,

The Fido Roam charges will only incur if your phone uses services -- make or receive a call, send a text message or use data abroad. You should note that Fido Roam is automatically enabled on Data, Talk & Text and Talk & Text plans. It should mentioned that Basic plans do not allow for roaming usage. If you did not wish to use the feature, you would need to opt-out of Fido Roam. In doing so, your usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view those rates here.

While receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, it's worth mentioning that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS. Disabling MMS should prevent that data transfer. Though, it should further be noted that iMessages and RCS messages are sent (and received) as data and not as text messages (SMS).

In order to prevent unintended roaming charges, it is generally recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, you should note that disabling those settings does not prevent roaming for voice and messaging. In addition, some manufacturers might allow some data usage to occur despite those settings (see here). That's why it is also generally recommended to enable Airplane and/or Flight modes in order to prevent unintended roaming usage. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. I understand doing so would also prevent incoming SMS, though.

@LM99 wrote:

... my data plan and roaming charges turned off,...

On the other hand, rather than disabling data and roaming data settings on your phone, are you referring to disabling roaming on your account? If you disabled roaming on your account, you would not be able to use any Fido services while abroad. If that is the case, you would not be able to receive any text messages.

The mobile providers only know usage. If a device is using services when its settings are set not to use them, that's an issue with the device. The mobile providers have no access to a device's settings to know what settings are enabled/disabled. If you wish to receive text messages, there is unfortunately no 100% guarantee your device won't use other services and trigger roaming charges. 

For completeness sake, it should be noted that while using Wifi for regular internet access will not incur Fido Roam charges, there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above). 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

LM99

thanks