Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buzzer is not working with my cellphone

Tj72
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello, 

I am living in Vancouver.

I had problem with buzzer of condo(built-in less 5years). I tried my buzzer number, it said "long distance call" and didn't work. My cellphone is Fido 788 area code.  I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how.

Many thanks 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Tj72,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your condo's intercom system. I had a similar issue with my building.

Firstly, though, are you sure your area code is 788 and not 778? As far as I am aware, the 788 area code is not officially assignable (see here and here). On the other hand, the 778 area code is a British Colombia area code (see here).

For the moment, I'll assume you have the 778 area code. I understand you live in Vancouver and that area code is for British Colombia. However, that area code overlay is for all of British Columbia. Depending on the prefix, the phone number could be from anywhere in the Province. It sounds like your area code and prefix combination are for a city or town outside of Vancouver. If you would like to use your mobile phone number for your condo's intercom system, you would unfortunately need to change your number to one local to Vancouver. The limitation preventing calling long-distance numbers would be an intercom system issue and not your mobile services.

As mentioned, I faced a similar issue with my building. While it's more obvious my area code is not from the city in which I currently live, my building also wasn't able to use my number for the intercom system. Since I did not wish to change my phone number to a local one, I ended up getting pre-paid line with a local number exclusively for the intercom system. I understand my solution might not suit everyone. Unfortunately, the only other option (at least that I can think of) would be to change your phone number.

As far as I am aware, there should not be any charge for the number change since it would be for a different local calling area (see here). Alternatively, you should also be able to change the number yourself via your My Account --> View Usage & Management. From your Dashboard, the option to Change your number is near the bottom of the page under Quick Actions.

You should note that the forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you wished to discuss your situation or wanted assistance with the number change, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers