cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst experience ever with roaming charges

CK228
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I was sent a bill after being away with extortionate charges. 14 dollars per day for recieving a text message, even with data roaming turned off. 

I was directed to my bill to check my charges, to which 11 days were unaccounted for and showed no activity. I was told that they could see the activity, but I would have to go elsewhere to see it myself. 

If you are able to charge me 14 dollars a day for receiving or sending messages while abroad shouldn't I have access to these. I was passed around from agent to agent, told to wait, was told this was due to a 5 hour time difference.

Definitely not a company to would recommend signing up with.  

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello CK228,

Welcome to the community!

That welcome message you received is only to inform you that your phone connected to a foreign network. It does not necessarily mean that you've already incurred that Fido Roam charge. It is usage of your services (ie making or receiving calls, sending messages, or using data) that will trigger the roaming fee (see here). Receiving SMS will not trigger the roaming fee. However, any data within a MMS (sent or received) will be considered roaming data and will trigger the roaming charge. To prevent accidental download of MMS, you might consider disabling any MMS Auto retrieve settings on your phone. With that setting disabled, you will receive notification of the message (SMS) and be given the option to download the content (MMS). If you do not download the content, there should be no roaming fee charged.

You should note that disabling roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice and text messages. To prevent a device from roaming, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight mode for the duration of your trip. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. You should also note certain Wifi-calling usage abroad is also considered roaming (if applicable).

With regards to being able to view your roaming usage, unfortunately, real-time usage information is not available when roaming. While a home network would be likely notified when one of their SIMs connects to a foreign network, any usage information is usually sent back to the home networks after a delay. They know that usage has occurred, but not what type of usage.

If you wish not to use Fido Roam, you would need to contact customer service to opt-out of the service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able access your account. You should note that if you opt-out of Fido Roam, your usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view the rates here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers