cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling Internationally with Fido eSIM (secondary line)

mohammadmahfooz
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, I was wondering if I travelled internationally with my fido eSIM active (but roaming disabled), and with a local travel SIM as my primary SIM, if I would incur any roaming charges with Wifi Calling canadian numbers. I wouldn't use any mobile data from my fido eSIM or text with it, and I would only make calls using wifi. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mohammadmahfooz,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, does your Fido plan include Talk? If your plan does not include any voice minutes, then you would not be able to use Wifi-calling for voice calls.

If your plan does include Talk minutes:

Wificalling.jpg

~taken from here.

So no, you won't incur roaming charges for Wifi-calls to Canadian phone numbers while abroad. However, you would need to ensure your phone is set for Wifi-calling. If it isn't, the calls would transmit via the networks and therefore incur a roaming charge. I understand you might have disabled roaming. However, most devices do not allow to disable roaming entirely. The setting is usually only for roaming data. With that setting enabled, the phone is still able to make/receive phone calls and messages via the networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers