cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is considered roaming/extended coverage?

vchat1
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,

I am based in Ontario and have a 2GB from Fido Pulse 2GB - BYOP plan, but I'm going to Alberta and I want to know; will the data that I use while in Alberta be considered as a part of my plan? Or will it be extra? 

My plan specifies 500 CanadaWide Weekday Minutes, but I don't see anywhere if my plan's data only covers ON vs all of Canada. Would appreciate some help, thanks! 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Vchat1,

Welcome to the community!

When your phone uses a different network from Fido/Rogers would be considered roaming. If that different network is outside of Canada, any usage would be charged roaming fees (ie Fido Roam). On the other hand, using a different network within Canada is extended coverage (Fido-EXT). With the roaming agreements, there is no charge for using extended coverage. However, there are some limitations to its usage (ie majority of your usage still needs to be your home network). Note that accessing extended coverage can happen even in your own Province.

When travelling across Canada, accessing the Fido/Rogers network in different regions would not be considered roaming. You are still on your home network. If you are in an area with poor or no Fido/Rogers coverage, your phone might connect to extended coverage. In either situation, you will have access to all of your data and call minutes (and text messages).

The different Provincial areas only affects long-distance call rates. However, since your plan includes Canada-wide minutes, it wouldn't really affect your travels as those minutes include Canadian long-distance.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers