cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visiting the US

lindam
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

My daughter is heading to the US for a couple days.  She wants to bring her phone with her, but I refuse to pay  for a travel pack for such a short visit.  Is there any way she can take her phone with her, use it and me not dread getting my next invoice?  She has a Galaxy something or other.  She'd like to use the hotel wifi..no calls and no texting.  

***Edited to add labels***

1 REPLY 1

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@lindam wrote:

My daughter is heading to the US for a couple days.  She wants to bring her phone with her, but I refuse to pay  for a travel pack for such a short visit.  Is there any way she can take her phone with her, use it and me not dread getting my next invoice?  She has a Galaxy something or other.  She'd like to use the hotel wifi..no calls and no texting.  

If she only wants to use wifi, then instruct her to disable data on here phone or at least disable data roaming (better to do both) and instruct her not to answer any calls, make any calls or send any texts. If she does all that, then she won't (shouldn't) see any roaming charges. But as soon as she decides she will use it for data, calls or texts, then she will be charged roaming.

Might be best to tell her to pull her SIM card before she crosses the border. Actually, before she even approaches the border since if her phones picks up a US signal while in Canada and she hasn't pulled the SIM or disabled data, she will be charged roaming for usage in Canada. But pulling the SIM is the best way to avoid any roaming charges. Maybe you should hold it for her while she is in the US.