cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using wifi instead of data.

Shelbyponace1
I'm a participant level 2

Hey there, just got a prepaid iPhone & was wondering if you could use wifi at home and a data plan while out. I thought I was being covered by wifi the whole time since I applied my wifi network.. But I noticed my balance going down on my phone and I'm kind of scared to do anything else on the Internet.. How do I turn off data while at home & use wifi? & use data while out? I can't even find my data usage... Any help??

6 REPLIES 6

Wufai
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

iphone should auto detect a trusted wi-fi network and disable your mobile data automactically. However. The wi-fi setting needs to be on at all times.When in doubt check the top bar icon on the phone prior to going online

spirited
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

As wufai stated..keep your wifi on at all times, then when your in range of a wifi signal your phone will connect to it (assuming you have already logged on to the wifi network previously, as it will remember) and disable the data usage. Make sure you logon to any networks when your in range...then whenever your in range of that network you will auto logon  IF your wifi is on.

Hello everyone! 

Just thought I'd add a bit to this thread here. Smiley 

Another good thing to make sure your iPhone is not using your data while on WiFi is to make sure the WiFi Assist feature is off. With this feature your phone can use both the data and WiFi should the Wifi not be fast enough. 

Keeping it off will ensure you only use WiFi when you're connected and not data. 

Hope that helps! 

cioc123
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hi, try this to disable data in Settings > General -> Network  > Cellular Data > OFF. This will also block text messages with photo because they need data. But, I don't think you need to disable it because when you have internet on wifi it doesn't use your Fido data. You can also install the Fido app on your phone and you can use it to check how much data you have used so far.

Shelbyponace1
Iphone4

credmau5
I'm experienced level 3
I'm experienced level 3
What kind of phone do you use? Just go into your settings and make sure mobile data is turned off. You can still use Wifi.