Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Prepaid Fido Outside Of Canada

simonsawyer1
I'm a participant level 1

hi

i am new to fido prepaid and i was wondering if it is possible to use the prepaid service out side canada and if so is there a way to refresh or top up my account while over there other than via credit/debit card as i dont have a canadian credit/debit card........?????????

***Edited to add labels***

7 REPLIES 7

FidoAlyson
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey simonsawyer1,

Welcome to the Community!

It's possible to use your prepaid services while outside of Canada but you will be charged at the roaming rate.

You can check it out over here .

How long will you be gone? If you make a $100 refill, it is valid for a whole year! 

Besides making refills online using your credit card, it's also possible to buy prepaid vouchers. Since you'll be out of country, you won't be able to get your hands on them though.

bear65

Don't have internet hooked up can i turn off my data usage and just use my camera?

@bear65 wrote:

Don't have internet hooked up can i turn off my data usage and just use my camera?

Hello Bear65,

Welcome to the forums!

Do you intend on using your phone to make/receive calls/SMS as well as a camera? If not, you could turn on Airplane mode, which would turn off all of the phone's antennae. You could then independently switch on Wifi if desired. Alternatively, the safest way to prevent roaming charges is to remove the SIM altogether.

On the other hand, if you do wish to use the phone to make/receive calls/SMS then your best option is to turn off data as well as turning off data roaming. You should note that if you intend on sending/receiving MMS, it would require data to be turned on and would incur roaming data charges.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

farazjawaid
I'm a participant level 2

Dear Fido, 

I just paid through my scotia bank account on the Account number I had for my prepaid sim. However after 12 hrs it is still not reflecting in my balance. I am outside canada. Please help. 

Regards

Faraz

***Edited to remove personal info***

Hi farazjawaid, 

If you have a prepaid SIM card, the payment cannot be made through online banking, you have to do it either through Fido.ca or over the phone. You would have to contact the financial institution to reverse the payment and then add the balance through Fido.ca. 

If I misunderstood and you have a monthly account, note that it can take up to 7 days for us to receive a payment from online banking.

farazjawaid

Dear FidoMatt,

Thanks for your response. It is a prepaid sim and I have 55$ monthly plan activated on my sim. I went to my bank online portal. I went into bill payment option. From there I selected Payee Fido Solution. over there I entered my account number. This account number is listed in my My account tab on Fido.ca portal. I credited 20$ but so far nothing is reflecting, although this amount is debited from my account. Will it still takes 7 days to reflect it in my account? If not what other options I have to reimburse this amount if it was not intended to top up this way. I can actually top up my prepaid and postpaid sims back in UAE in the same and I think it should not be such an issue. And if it is not possible that to whom Bank actually credited this amount.   

Regards

Faraz 

Hi faraz, you should be able to erquest a reversal of the payment through your Financial institution and make the payment through one of the methods listed on our site. http://bit.ly/How2Refill