cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unconditional Call Forwarding while roaming internationally

theedge7777
I'm a participant level 2

Hello, if a phone is set to UNCONDITIONAL Call Forwarding while roaming on a foreign network, will there be roaming charges applied? 

In other forums, I do see that it is the case when using conditional call forwarding, but no mention for the other part.

Reason I ask is that I have elderly parents that will be traveling and I want to make sure they are reachable and can use their phone while in transit. Once arrived at final destination, they would have their number unconditionally forwarded to a different phone number.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Theedge7777,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note that Call Forwarding isn't free. Older plans included a certain number of Call Forwarding minutes (ie 2500 Call Forwarding minutes). However, newer plans don't include any Call Forwarding minutes. That said, 2500 Call Forwarding minutes is included with the Value Pack Add-on (see here, under long-distance). Fido might offer those Call Forwarding minutes as a standalone add-on, though you would have to request it via customer serviceIn addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. 

You should also note that calls can only be forwarded to a Canadian or American phone number (see here). If your parents are travelling to the US, long-distance charges would likely apply. On the other hand, if they are travelling outside of Canada or the US, forwarding calls to a number at their destination location would not be possible.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

theedge7777

Hi Cawtau, 

Thanks for chiming in. Yes It is well understood that Call Forwarding is charged at a per minute basis if not included as part of the package. In fact their package already has this add-on. The intention is to forward their mobile to a different local number in their home area (Montreal), so it would be a local call forwarding.

The question lies specifically if they perform an "Unconditional Call Forward" to a different Montreal Number, while roaming in a different country, would those forwarded calls be handled as "Roaming" calls from foreign operator (and charged accordingly) or Locally Forwaded calls handled by Fido's Network?

Thanks in advance!

Hello again,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. If the calls are forwarded to a local phone number (ie Montreal), there should be no roaming charges. With unconditional call forwarding, the calls would not reach the phone; they would be automatically redirected to the number you chose.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers