cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Data Roaming completely

SlavD
I'm a contributor level 2

I am travelling to Mexico in 2 weeks. I don't want any unexpected roaming charges.

Last time I traveled, I got charged for each day I was away. I had Data Roaming turn off on the phone. Did not make any calls/texts. Airplane mode was not off, cause I needed resort WiFi and Bluetooth for my devices.

But my bill had data charges for like 50-100 kilobytes of data per day. KILObytes! What could I possibly do with 50 KILObytes?! Customer support reverted some, BUT NOT ALL charges (and it took several calls of convincing)

I don't want any surprises this time. Obviously simply turning off Data Roaming in phone settings (Android, S9), isn't enough. The phone is "leaking" kilobytes.

How can I remove roaming from my account?

4 REPLIES 4

Jennz
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

When I was in Europe, I carefully had Data OFF, Roaming OFF, but No Airplane mode off, I could still be charged consecutive days. When I checked my PDF invoice, I found that the days to be charged $15/day do not corresponding to the days when the data was used (with some MB). I wonder what the charges of days are based?

More specifically, I was charged for May 03, 06, 07, 08. However, the data usage was only shown for May 08.

Although the daily charge is not that much, it seems that I am out of control of using Fido service.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello SlavD,

@SlavD wrote:..Airplane mode was not off, cause I needed resort WiFi and Bluetooth for my devices...

If you do not wish to use any of your services while abroad, your best option is to enable Airplane or Flight mode for the entirety of your trip. You can then manually enable Wifi and/or Bluetooth when required. You should note that if your device is capable of Wifi-calling, certain usage will be considered roaming.

You might also consider contacting customer service to add a roaming block on your account. Alternatively, you could send @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

SlavD

@Cawtau wrote:

if your device is capable of Wifi-calling, certain usage will be considered roaming.

That could explain what happened last time. So would WiFi-Calling trigger data usage even when using Airplane Mode (with WiFi manually on?)

Hello again,

@SlavD wrote:..That could explain what happened last time. So would WiFi-Calling trigger data usage even when using Airplane Mode (with WiFi manually on?)

No, I don't think that was the cause of your data usage. With Airplane mode enabled, the phone should not be able connect to the mobile networks. Data usage is only possible when connecting to the mobile networks. The usage to which I was referring was using Wifi-calling to make calls and sending messages to non-Canadian phone numbers.

With regards to the small amounts of data usage, I'm not sure anyone has come up with a definitive answer as to the cause. Some have suggested that if a phone's settings are set for High Accuracy Location, certain phones will still connect to mobile networks to get location information despite data & data roaming disabled. If I remember correctly, you had disabled your Airplane mode previously in order to use Wifi and Bluetooth.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers