Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of Responsibility - need to go under a family member's account

monish88
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello Moderators, 

My family member is getting discounts on his account and is willing to add me under his account number. I contacted FIDO chat support and they are asking me to undergo a Transfer of Responsibility process where there may be a $50 charge. I do not understand why there is a charge when I will continue to use my own phone number and only my account number will be changing. Can I request to waive this charge given my long history and relationship with FIDO? Is there an easy way to do this transfer? 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Monish88,

There is a Transfer of Responsibility (ToR) fee, though, it might have increased compared to that mentioned to you (see here). I understand you will continue to use your own number, however, they still need to process the transfer. After transfer to your family member's account, they will be responsible for your line. As such, there would likely be a credit check performed to verify their eligibility to have another line.

From what you note, you appear to want to go under your family member's account because they get discounts. It should be noted that promotional offers are for a particular line and do not necessarily extend to all lines on the account. It would be likely your line would not receive the same offers as your family member even though they might be on the same account.

In addition, if you are referring to a second line discount or promotion, you should note those discounts/promotions are often for the addition of new lines. Adding a current line to their account would likely not avail of those second line discounts or promotions.

As mentioned in my previous repy to one of your posts, while there may be some moderators still willing to provide assistance via PM, you will likely need to re-contact customer service with your request. The forums are community-driven and are not intended as a venue for customer services. We wouldn't be able to comment on whether they would be willing to waive administrative charges.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers