Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam calls from international numbers

AbdellahL
I'm a participant level 1

Hello,

Ever since Friday Nov. 15 2019 I have been getting spam calls from international phone numbers. Usually they ring once or twice and hang up.Is there a way to make this stop? The numbers appear to be from Albania and Guatemala and they are never the same number:

+355 69 222 2868

+355 69 843 1981

+355 69 338 5010

+355 69 222 1381

+355 69 222 9756

+502 5391 3866

+355 69 383 8793

I got 7 calls within the last day.

Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution?

Help!

12 REPLIES 12

MAblackberry
I'm a participant level 2

I have the same issue with spam calls, and they fill up my voice message inbox as well. Everyday I get around 8 1o 10 calls or more. Any solution to this problem. I switched to Fido few weeks ago, and since day one I recieve the same spam calls, and once i block each number I get new calls from other new numbers. I can't keep on blocking all numbers and scilencing all new incoming calls everyday. Some of these numbers are:

414 870 2848 , 647 698 1688 , 416 845 7291, 800 202 9118, 800 2266717 , and the list goes on.

Kelly0102

I too have been getting these calls (area code is Albania) since.18 November - over 15 calls in one day! Any solution yet?

doom1208

Hi! i install a call blocker from play store and its work good, the one i install is Bloqueur d'appels from vlad lee.

lisaragoo
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I just received a spam call from a local 416 number.....

"hello, this fido with an important message from the Chinese messaging dept" then Chinese words.....

I get these same calls from DHL at least twice a week and now they have started using fido, the numbers seem to be masked local numbers and the owner's of the phone numbers are not aware

Not to mention the Marriot, WestJet calls and trip to Bhamas calls......

This is getting really ridiculous

sobrien1

I have been receiving these exact same calls.

Is there anything that can be done at the source of these annoying calls?

Zaq1

I am facing same problem . Very frustrating. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello AbdellahL,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, there isn't much that providers can do to prevent nuisance calls. The mobile providers are implementing Universal Call blocking, however, that system will only block malformed numbers. If the phone numbers are properly formed (including properly formed spoofed numbers), they will not be blocked. While the are working on a way to identify the actual source of spoofed phone numbers, that technology is not yet available.

The only solution currently is to block the phone numbers on your phone. I understand that the numbers keep changing. However you might be able to block an entire country code from your phone by using the match criteria starts with rather than individual numbers using the exactly same as criteria. Using the numbers you provided for example, creating a call block or call reject command using starts with +355 should block all numbers with that country code. That way you should be able to use a single command to block or reject most of the numbers listed in your post. You could then create a similar call block/reject command for +502. Obviously, if they start using a different country code, you will have to add that new country code to your phone's call reject list. This suggestion might not be a solution if you also regularly communicate with people from those countries as those commands would also block your known callers.

You should note that blocking the calls only prevents the calls from ringing your phone. It does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. There are (at least were) some apps which claimed to also prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They worked by answering and almost simultaneously ending the calls. While those apps do prevent calls from going to voicemail, the calls are also considered 'answered' and therefore count as airtime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

MAblackberry

Can you please mention some of these app for Iphone? Thanks

Hello MAblackberry,

I personally do not use any apps to block SPAM calls so I don't have experience with any particular app. However, there appear to be a few of them recommended by some technology websites (see here, here, here, and here). Unfortunately, I also don't know whether those apps are free (or have free versions to trial).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Malinda

This has to do something with FIDO, I noticed this happens when I call FIDO and request a call back (Leaving my number with FIDO) 

Ridiculous

Hello Malinda,

Unfortunately, none of the phone providers are immune to these types of calls. I understand you noticed the calls after you contacted Fido. However, Fido does not condone this type of calling behaviour. Your receiving SPAM calls would have been coincidental.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

I got 15 calls on one of my numbers yesterday, I'm beginning to think these guys like me more than my friends 😉. Currently the providers are working on a way to stop these calls see here.