cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some incoming calls going straight to Voice Mail-Android

Rainey99
I'm a contributor level 1

Over the last week or so I have had a few calls go directly to my voice mail; the call does not show up in my log so not sure when the call came in and from who in order to trouble shoot it. 

One call the voice mail was from a family member and I may have been in a parking garage when the call came but not sure why the phone log does not show that a call came in.

The second call I can not determine who called as they did not say anything in the message; again no call in the phone log.

This is a new issue and I can not determine if it is a fido issue of the phone (Samsung Galaxy s9). 

Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Rainey99,

@Rainey99 wrote:...One call the voice mail was from a family member and I may have been in a parking garage when the call came but not sure why the phone log does not show that a call came in...

Since you were in the parking garage, it's likely your phone didn't have any cellular reception at the time. If your phone is off, on Airplane or Flight mode, Do Not Disturb mode, or when you're outside of coverage (ie no service), calls will automatically forwarded to voicemail (see here). If your phone did not get cellular signal because you were in the parking garage, the call would not have reached your phone. That's likely why the call didn't show in your phone log.

@Rainey99 wrote:...The second call I can not determine who called as they did not say anything in the message; again no call in the phone log...

It's possible that your phone was also out-of-reach when the second call left the message. That said, some people have suggested that it is possible for some spammers/scammers to bypass the phone and go directly to voicemail (see here and here). I'm not sure if it is still possible for a caller to intentionally send a call straight to voicemail, however, if the caller did intend to bypass the phone, that would explain why the call did not show in your phone log.

It might be possible to obtain the time and date of the call (and possibly phone number) from the message. When listening to the message, press 5, to get the message header (see here under Managing Voicemail). With the time and date, you might be able to determine whether you were also in an area without service when that call was made. You should note that if the call was SPAM/SCAM and the blank message was left because your phone was out-of-coverage or left via 'backdoor', it's likely the phone number used was spoofed.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Rainey99

This makes total sense and thank you for the tip about using "5" when listening to messages. If this happens again I will check out the information about the call.

Thank you so much.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Rainey99,

It sounds like you were in an area with no reception that's why the calls went directly to voicemail.

If you have no reception your phone will not ring and therefore the missed call will not show up on your phone's call log.