Scam calls. Is Fido has no protection on the data??

I'm a Participant Level 3 Irinac
I'm a Participant Level 3

Scam calls. Is Fido has no protection on the data??

Hello Fido.

Today I have been called three times from the numbers as follow: 

+248 9999 68,

+248 9999 25,

+248 9999 37. 

Caller ID shows name "Seychelles". I checked those number online and on website WhoCallsMe.com they are posted by many people today. I accidently answer one call, never called back to, and blocked all three numbers.

My question is there are a lot of people affected by this scam today, hoppefully most people understood that it's a type of scam. but anyway, most affected numbers are registered with Fido or Rogers (which is the same company basically). You have all users' data, and you must protect this data. Then how it happened than in one day so many people were called from the same numbers?? Don't tell me that the scammers use computer generated numbers, because most of the affected people were from Toronto Area. I've been living in Alberta for two years. but kept my Ontario number, so basically my information is registered in Ontario. 

I do need real answers!!!! What kind of steps are you going to make to protect my personal information?? 

Probably about two weeks ago I received another call from +1 (867) 992-0248, it was recorded message from CRA (which I'm fully aware is a scam) with a treat to arrest me if I won't call them immidiatly. I blocked this number too. 

Anyway, to block numbers it's not a solution to this, data protection is. And it feels that all personal information is leaking from Fido to the hands of scamers.

I do request to contact me and explain what is going on not in general term but with a technical solution!!!

Accepted Solution

Re: Scam calls. Is Fido has no protection on the data??

Hey @Irinac,

Welcome to the Community!

I completely understand that receiving those types of calls is not pleasant at all and can be a great irritant and I assure you that we take this very seriously.

You can also rest assured that we have nothing to do with these kinds of calls and don’t support them in any way.  Unfortunately, there isn’t anything we can do to stop these companies from contacting you because there are no laws stopping them from doing so. But we do everything we can to lower their chances of getting in touch with you.

We use sophisticated anti-spam software in our network to protect you from spammers. The software has advanced threat detection algorithms to constantly hunt for and identify suspicious activity. We also have a dedicated team who monitors and detect for mobile messaging threats and creates configurations to block current/new issues in real-time.

We try our best to stop these kinds of activities, however, as much as we try, we can't stop them all!

Most importantly, we would never sell or share any of our customers' personal information, including phone numbers, as your privacy and security stays one of our top priorities!

Avoid picking up those calls as much as possible and make sure to block the unwanted calls by blocking the caller's number. 

I also recommend reporting the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

Their site provides a large amount of information on known scams.

You can check it out for more details.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 1 MattL
I'm a Participant Level 1

When “CRA” calls again, tell them you’ll pay, but tell them to meet you at the police station.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 1 babak_m_d

Hello,

I have same problem too. yesterday I blocked all numbers from +248 but last night about 2:00 AM, I woke up by a call from +269. Is there any other solution than blocking all foreign countries?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 3 Irinac
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi @Cawtau

ok then, could you be nice and provide to me step by step instruction how to block all country codes, and I will be pleased if you will provide country codes (all African and Middle East, Carribian, and South American). And I will be devilishly pleased if the instruction will be in pictures, I’m in desperate needs of visual aids. I believe you have access to my personal info (you stated thet you can see my address in Alberta), so email will be fine. Thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 27
MVP
MVP

Hello Irinac,

Firstly, I do not work for Fido so I do not have access to your account information. I presumed you provided Fido with an Alberta address since you now live in Alberta.

You can find the required country calling codes here.

What phone do you have? Most phones should have the ability to block or reject calls. However, the phones would have slightly different methods of creating the call rejection commands. Generally, if you go to your phone's call settings there should be an option for call rejection or call blocking. It might look something like this:

Screenshot_2018-04-18-13-07-38.png

Ensure your Auto Reject mode is set to Reject calls on Auto Reject list. To add a number to the Auto Reject list, press the Manage auto reject numbers. You should be provided with a screen to add a Number and select Match Criteria. You would enter the country code for the number (ie +248 for Seychelles). Under Match Criteria, select Starts with as shown below.

Screenshot_2018-04-18-13-08-11.png

Hopefully you'll be able to find similar setting options in your phone. Those instructions should automatically reject the calls from all numbers beginning with +248, for example. You should note that these auto reject settings does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. The setting simply forwards the calls directly to voicemail without ringing the phone. There are (at least there were) some apps which could prevent callers from leaving voicemail, however, those apps answer the calls and almost simultaneously hang up the calls. That is, those calls would be considered as answered and therefore charged airtime.

Sorry I haven't provided more visual aids, but without knowing what phone you're using, the various menu options for the different phones can vary quite a bit. I often spend twice as long trying to find the same settings on my sister's phone than on mine!

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 1 Klc7

Hopefully this is the appropriate place to make this post.

I've received a phone call claiming to be from fido (was definitely not). The number was local to me 514 629 0000 

The lady had a heavy accent and there was a baby screaming the entire length of her intro speech so when I asked "can you please repeat I didn't understand" her response was "you speak English so why don't you understand?" 

It was something about meeting in front of a walmart for a special promotion but that's all I got cause she was extremely rushed and rude. 

I know theres no way she could be employed by fido, and I'm not sure what kind of scam this is but putting it out here incase anyone else receives a call from this number. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 27
MVP
MVP

Hello Klc7,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information!  That is certainly not the usual type of SCAM calls we have seen on here.

Thanks for posting :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 1 Bethlehem

I keep getting daily phone calls most of the times more than once daily; when I answer a message in Chinese prompts then I close my phone and block the number.

I get the same voice from a different number since I blocked the previous one.

It is so annoying to keep getting those phone calls several times on daily basis.

I also get spam phone calls from “revenue Canada “ I since I kept blocking those phone calls it’s not as annoying as that Chinese answering machine.

I feel I am getting harassed big time.

please help!!!!!!!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 27
Moderator (inactive) FidoRanya
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @Bethlehem

I moved your post to this thread as it deals with a similar topic! 

Check out the accepted solution for some tips and tricks! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 1 CellUser211

For months, I have been getting 2-5 calls daily from a Chinese pre-recorded voice that apparently tells me that I owe the CRA money and I'll be arrested. While I obviously know these aren't genuine, I continue to run into the problem of having a full voicemail (3 messages) by the end of my work day. When real people try to call me while I'm busy, they are not able to leave a voicemail.

What is Fido doing about the bombardment of pre-recorded calls? The phone number changes every single time I block the previous one and I have no idea how I can stop this from happening. This is harassment and I know Fido isn't the only phone company with users who are experiencing this problem. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 27

Hey @CellUser211,

I've moved your post to this thread as you'll find the answer to your concerns in the solution.

Hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 1 00A

When will Fido implement STIR/SHAKEN protections for its customers against spammers, robocalls and phone number spoofing?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 27
Highlighted

.Hey @00A

I have moved your post in this thread as it deals with the same topic. You'll find all the informations regarding the subject in this thread.

That said, we thank you for the recommendation.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 27