cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM TEXT MESSAGES WHY FIDO DOES NOT HAVE 7726?!?!?

Frustrated24
I'm a participant level 1

I am getting blasted daily by spam text messages, it's gone crazy. Called FIDO and they said they cant't do a thing an no they don't have 7726 to report spam to like Rogers does, WHY NOT?
I've been with FIOD for over 15 years and this is the first time I've been frustrated but I'm goign to leave, this is rediculaous. And the lady on the phone says there is no formal complaint process with her, and the managers will be a very long wait. Brutal. How is this possibly showing your customers any repsect? But if you miss a payment, BAM, that's got them Jonny on the spot contacting yout right? I'll be posting on my socials about this, which I cant remember the last time I have done so about anything.

We are soon to put people on Mars but we can't stop spam text messages? Seriously????

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Frustrated24,

Welcome to the community!

I think everyone is a little fed up with all of the SPAM / SCAM calls and text messages. Unfortunately, I think you may have been provided with inaccurate information regarding 7726. Fido does have access to the SPAM text reporting system (7726 or SPAM). As mentioned here, we have been able to do so since at least 2017. Many of us have been able to use the system with little issue. Recently, though, the scammers/spammers have taken to sending MMS in an apparent attempt to bypass the system as it can only receive SMS. There are a few ways to convert the message back to SMS (see here). In addition, it should be mentioned that the system is not Fido's or Rogers' reporting centre. It's Nationwide and I believe it's also available in the US (see here and here).

As mentioned in those links, once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter. So, while the system might be able to reduce the messages which get flagged by the system, I don't think it will be able to stop the messages completely.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Frustrated2424

Hello, Thank you for the reply. The FIDO rep on the phone was not away of 7726, even after I brought it up and asked her and expressed my frustration that it was available on Rogers and was told a few times that "fido is not rogers". After nearly 1.5 hrs on the phone/hold I was able to speak to a manager who also had to check to see if fido has 7726 and yes it does.

There is basically still no solution however as you mentioned. I think if the telecom industry wanted to find one they would, for example if it was losing them money.