Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming vs Airplane mode

kristina5
I'm a participant level 3

Hello,

I am planing a trip to U.S.A and was informed by a sales person at Fido that i am able to bring my Iphone with me, turn on airplane mode and still have access to wifi without having to pay for fido roaming.

If i do not pay for roaming and turn on airplane mode and use the free wifi, will i be charged?

Also, am i able to turn on and use my lphones cellular data (while still having airplane mode on) or would i be charged?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @kristina5,

You'd only be charged roaming if you use your wireless service while connected to a roaming partner's network outside of Canada.

If your Airplane Mode is ON and you only use your device while connected to WiFi, no charges would apply. While on Airplane Mode, the phone doesn't connect to any network, so you wouldn't be able to connect to cellular data either. 

If you turn the Airplane Mode OFF and use your device for cellular data, to place/receive calls or  to send messages, then roaming charges will apply.

With our Fido Roam option, you can use the features of your Canadian plan for $7/day in the U.S. and $12/day in eligible international destinations. If you travel to a non eligible destination, pay-per-use rates would apply when using your phone (rates are available here)

You can also find all the details on Fido Roam here.

Hope this helps Smiley

kristina5

Hello, 

Oh ok, so as long as i have my phone connected to airplane mode i won't be charged anything. 

Thank you so much for the help!