Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming on a Cruise

Sheryle18
I'm a participant level 3

Hi, 

i would like to ask regarding Fido roaming on a Cruise. I am going for Alaska Cruise in Nieuw  Amsterdam Holland America and was just wondering how it works to use the roaming and how does Fido charges while on a Cruise ship with Wireless Maritime Service and while on land?

Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Sheryle18,

Welcome to the community!

Assuming the cruise ship on which you are travelling has cellular service, you would be using your Fido services on a pay-per-use basis:

Cruise.jpg

~taken from here.

After a quick perusal of the cruise ship website, I did not find any information regarding cellular services. You might consider verifying those services are available with the cruiseline. 

If you have a postpaid plan and you do not opt-out of Fido Roam, you will be charged $7 per day while on land in Alaska. If you do opt-out of Fido Roam, you will use your services on a pay-per-use basis while on land in Alaska. The rates can be fount in the Fido Travel link above.

Hope this helps and have a great trip! 😀

Cheers

Sheryle18

Hello!

Thanks for the reply!

What about while on sea in Alaska?

Hello again,

While at sea, your phone might connect to the Wireless Maritime Service (WMS) as “cellular at sea”, “Ship Roam”or “901-18”. As previously noted, usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. There should be no need to set anything up prior to connecting to the WMS. If you've never roamed before with your phone, you might consider verifying your account doesn't have any roaming blocks prior to your trip.

If you're at sea, but close enough to shore, your phone might connect to land-based services which would trigger Fido Roam charges. You might consider verifying the network to which your phone connects prior to usage.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hey @Sherlye18

You can find all the areas that Fido Roam covers here.

You can confirm the prices there. On the sea, you would be on the pay-per use rates.

Hope this helps.

Sheryle18

Hi!

Thank you very much for your reply! I guess I will be just using while on land, does it automatically charges me $7/day when i start to use? Or do i have to let Fido know to activate such plan? I’m on a postpaid plan.

This is what i found on a Cruise Critic.

All ships in the Holland America fleet are cell phone friendly, and thanks to an agreement with Wireless Maritime Service, passengers can make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, and access emails and surf the web with their phones. Phones must be activated for international calling with the passenger's home provider, but no special codes or software are needed. Roaming fees apply.

Hello again,

If you're on a postpaid plan, you're likely already enrolled to use Fido Roam. However, you can verify your Fido Roam enrollment status by texting ROAM to 222 (see Fido Roam FAQ link in previous post).

With Fido Roam, any usage (using your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad) will trigger the Fido Roam charge for the 24 hour period. Don't forget that you'll need to enable data roaming if you wish to use data or send/receive MMS. That said, having data and/or roaming data disabled does not prevent roaming for voice and regular text messages (SMS).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers