cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in US Almost Never Works!

YYC2
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have been a Fido customer for at least 6 years and I have never once travelled and had any of my Fido purchased phones work properly. I have traveled to Seattle, Tacoma, Yelm, Spokane & Republic, WA. Orlando, FL, Albuquerque, NM. Houston and Dallas, TX as well as Puerto Vallarta Mexico and have had the same issue in ALL of these locations. 

In all of these instances calling usually works, texting sometimes works - and if so it's not consistent. And Data almost never works. In my last trip to Washington it worked briefly for about 30 minutes near Graham, WA.

I have called tech support (while in Canada) and determined that yes my roaming was on. I was told to try switching to other available networks so in Spokane WA I did just that. There were 6 or 7 networks and I was not able to use any of them. I was also not able to send or receive phone calls or texts in Spokane. 

It is not a problem with this specific device because this problem has been persistent throughout my entire experience with Fido in which time I have had 5 phones. 

I am currently using a pixel 1 (this is the 3rd pixel 1 as the first two were replaced under warranty though all three had the US roaming issue.) And the problem was also present with my Nexus 5&6 phones. 

The ONLY commonality on this 6+ year experiment in the limits of my patience has been Fido. 

Fido does not Roam.

I am traveling to Orlando for work at the end of October and I must have a working phone. If someone can fix this - please get a hold of me. 

-m 

21 REPLIES 21

FidoFrancois
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello @YYC2,

What you're describing is certainly not the experience we aim for with our roaming service! 

To ensure we get to the bottom of this for you, can you answer and expend a bit more on those questions: 

-Have you changed your SIM card? 

-While traveling, do you set network selection to automatic or manual? 

-Did you speak with technical support after your experience in Spokane to reassess the situation? 

Let the Community know, we'll reassess from there.