cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Mexico

HEM1
I'm a participant level 1

I am in Mexico, and need to turn on roaming to get a 2-step verification text. I have turned airplane mode off; I have turned Mobile data on; I have turned data roaming on. Under Carrier, it says Preferred Network: No Service. I called FiDO, and the agent made sure my account was set up for roaming.

Nothing happens, it says 'Emergency calls only, and an x next to the bars that show the strength of the network.

How do I fix this?

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello HEM1,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with roaming in Mexico.

@HEM1 wrote:

.... I have turned Mobile data on; I have turned data roaming on...

Firstly to clarify, enabling data and roaming data do not have any impact on receiving SMS. Though, those settings would for MMS. The Fido Roam is charged when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad with your Fido SIM (see here). Incoming SMS messages do not incur the charge (note that receiving MMS would incur the charge because it includes data). So disabling data and roaming data could prevent unintended roaming charges while still being able to receive SMS.

Where are you located in Mexico? Are you able to select a different network? Have you tried different locations? I understand there is an X next to the signal bars. However, is the device receiving any signal? If there is no or poor signal in your area, there is not much that can be done to improve it. If able, manually switching networks might hlep. Unfortunately, if your area is not adequately covered by local mobile providers, Fido won't be able to offer roaming services. You can view some area coverage maps here and here.

Do you have a device and plan which are compatible with Wifi-calling? If you do, you might be able to receive the verification text that way. That said, there seems to be some misunderstanding regardingWifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

LeMac

I do have exactly the same problem, I do have 4 other network that I can connect but I do have a denied message after few seconds ( At&T , Movistar and Telcel). And the Wifi calling is not working as well, is there any setting we can program ?

Hello LeMac,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with roaming in Mexico. However, if your device is able to view the networks, it's likely your problem is slightly different from the OP. What plan do you have? You should note that some plans do not allow for roaming (ie Basic Plans).

With regards to Wifi-calling, you should note that some plans do not include that feature (ie Talk & Text, Basic, and Pre-paid). You should also note that if your device was not purchased from Fido, nor available from them, it will likely not be supported for certain features (ie voLTE and Wifi-calling).

If you have a plan which supports roaming as well as plan and device which supports Wifi-calling and you are still having issues, you might need to contact customer services as mentioned by FidoSaad. It's possible there is a roaming block on your account

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @LeMac!

If you're still having trouble accessing the network while roaming, reach out to us on these channels and we'll be happy to take a closer look.