cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges in Airplane Mode

AEMCGL
I'm a participant level 2

Unreal. My phone was in Airplane mode the entire time I was in MX and yet I was charged $12/day for roaming. How is this possible? 

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello AEMCGL,

Welcome to the community!

What phone do you have? Is it capable of Wifi-calling? If it is, had you used any of your services via Wifi? Certain use would be considered roaming.

How many days were you in Mexico? Were you charged every day? Is it possible you were charged for Fido Roam before you enabled Airplane mode? If your phone had its Airplane mode enabled for the entire duration of your trip, it shouldn't have been able to connect to the networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hello @AEMCGL 

I'm sorry for the charges you occured while in Mexico it is not pleasant upon your return to find out roaming charges.  @Cawtau  is right wifi calling activated is considered roaming. 

Find out more about this and how to avoid bitter-sweet roaming charges during your next trip Here 

AEMCGL

The roaming charges were incurred for all 7 days that we were in MX. And yet the phone was always in Airplane mode. I have traveled many times with the same phone, left it in airplane mode, and wasn't charged roaming. Literally did nothing different this time, and yet charged for each day that we were away. Wifi calling is off. Anyone know how I can escalate this to get a refund??

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. Have you had a chance to view your bill details to see what usage incurred the charges?

I understand your phone was in Airplane mode. However, Fido will only charge for roaming if usage was detected by the phone connecting to the network -- via foreign cellular networks or Wifi. If Airplane mode was enabled and Wifi-calling disabled, your phone should not have been able to connect to the networks. Fido would not have even known your phone was out of the Country otherwise. If it did, then that seems to be an issue with the phone. What phone do you have?

In your previous travels, were you also with Fido?

If you wish to discuss the charges, you might consider contacting customer service so that they can go over the charges with you. Alternatively, you  might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello Scooby-Doo,

@Scooby-Doo wrote:..wifi calling activated is considered roaming. ..

To clarify, only certain usage when abroad is charged as roaming:

All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. Same goes for all messages and calls you make or send to a Canadian number. In either case, you won't incur long distance or roaming charges

All outgoing messages and calls to a non-Canadian number will count the same way as they do on a mobile network. Roaming and long-distance charges depend on your roaming situation (ie whether Fido Roam or pay-per-use).

~taken from link above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers