Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a Family Member from Family Plan

SJWolfe
I'm a participant level 3

Hello,

I have a family plan and in February 2022, their phone plan will end and they're moving to a different provider.

They are using a phone I had to provide (I signed, my credit, etc.) with their own number.

I have searched and not found an answer how to remove a member off the family plan (just lots of replies how to add them).

I want to keep my personal phone on Fido, though.

I do not want to continue paying for their phone package they will not be using. Can I somehow auto-disable their phone and number on the exact date the 2 years is up?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

SJWolfe

Yes, we are getting there with an answer!

In January 2020, I got her a phone because her credit is shot. She has her own number which was ported over. She has a contract that expires, along with the phone financing in February 2022. Both are under my personal account and I pay both bills.

In February 2022 after the phone financing is done and her 2-year contract is complete, I am no longer paying the month-to-month use for the phone, just mine.

ToR may not be possible as her credit is shot. Her only option is to put it on PayGo, or KooDoo says they'd take a chance on her.

Either way, February 2022, her responsibility to Fido is paid (by me) and she must be off my account completely.

Thank you!

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. It is possible to migrate her line from a post-paid service to pre-paid. You should note that there is a migration fee to process the transfer (see here). Your family member should note that Fido no longer offers a purely pay-as-you-go plan. All of their pre-paid offerings require a monthly or yearly plan (see here). They should also note that most, if not all, pre-paid options have expiring balances. With Fido, the expiry dates vary with the top-up amount (see here). 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

SJWolfe

Yes, she has her own number, I have my own number, we're combined under my plan.

She has not decided and may stay with Fido, but her bill must come off my account in February as I will no longer pay her line. So we need to do it so it automatically comes off my bill, ported or not.

Will I have to close both accounts and start a new one for myself?

Thank you!

Hello SJWolfe,

As previously mentioned, if your family member decides to stay with Fido, you would need to request a transfer of responsibility (TOR). However, from what you note, it sounds like they may have a contract for a device on their line. You should note that it might not be possible to TOR a financed device (see here). Depending on the type of contract for her device, she may need to pay out the cancellation fee (remaining balance) or the remaining balance would be charged to the existing account holder.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello, again @SJWolfe,

If that person decides to stay with Fido you can do what's called a transfer of responsibility and that family member will have their own account and you will keep your current account, as a matter of fact, you do not have to wait for the contract to end you can transfer the account at any time. 

You should note there is a $45 fee when changing ownership, you can get more information here.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @SJWolfe,

Do you mean you have a line under your account for a family member? Because Fido does not have any family plan.

If that person is looking to go to another provider when the contract is up when they activate a line with the other provider they can port out the number and it will automatically cancel the Fido line and you will not be responsible for it anymore it will be removed from the account.

Your personal line will remain on the account.