cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding charges of toll fee number 800

diptanshu
I'm a participant level 2

Will i be charged if i call 800 numbers of India customer support using My Wireless Plan (20+5)GB, Talk & Text - BYOP

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Diptanshu,

Welcome to the community!

To clarify, is that India customer support located in North America or India?

There are some important things to note regarding toll-free phone numbers. While North American toll-free numbers can generally be called free of long-distance (LD) charges from Canada or the US, it depends on the designated area as determined by the business owning the phone number. In addition to restricting those numbers to either Canada or US, some businesses may also place additional limits on their free usage (ie only from certain states or provinces etc)(see here). It would be a similar situation with toll-free phone numbers from other Countries. It all depends from where they wish to accept the long-distance charges. Many toll-free phone numbers are not free from long-distance charges when called from a different Country.

Since the designated call area is determined by the businesses, it's not possible to know the availability of a particular toll-free number in specific regions just by the phone number itself. That said, I think it would be safe to assume that calling a toll-free phone number located in a different Country would incur long-distance charges. These are the rates for calling India:

India.jpg

~taken from here., under Calling.

Sometimes companies may provide another number for customers outside their Country to call for customer service. For example, Fido offers a different number for customers in US or abroad (see here).

As mentioned, even if the number is available in North America, it's not possible to know the availability of a particular toll-free number in specific regions just by the phone number itself. Since Canada and the US (and other countries) utilise the same North American Numbering Plan, those phone numbers all have the same format, regardless of their intended call areas. The only way to determine whether a business is willing to accept the long-distance charges for their toll-free phone number from a particular location would be to enquire with them directly. I understand the particular Catch-22 aspect of the situation. However, the company may have other means of communication to determine the company's designated call area (ie social media, email, etc).

**edit** It should also be noted that Toll-free numbers simply means that there are no long distance charges associated with the calls. Airtime will always apply when calling any phone number, including toll-free numbers. It's the same with any of the mobile providers. The only way to not incur airtime charges is to call them from landlines. If you exceed your allotment of minutes, any excess minutes used would be charged extra.**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

diptanshu

It is located in India

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. Unless specifically specified as International toll-free , the number provided for customer service are generally domestic numbers. That is, the call to that number would likely incur long-distance charges when called from outside of India.

If the company or businesses are willing to accept charges for calls from outside of their Country, they would provide a number people could call collect or by reverse charge. The business would then accept the charges prior to the call connecting. Unfortunately, it's not possible to make collect calls using cellular post-paid services. As far as I am aware, collect calls can only be made with pre-paid services or landlines.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers