cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

RCS and VoLTE are not active with Google Pixel 3

siamak__
I'm a contributor level 2

I have both the RCS and VoLTE functional in my Pixel XL (1st gen).

I put my simcard to Pixel 3, and setup everything. RCS is not getting activated and I do not have HD voice anymore on Pixel 3.

13 REPLIES 13

siamak__

Hello @FidoNick

The problem with VoLTE and WiFi calling is resolved for user wrick, as seen in the comments.

Would you please follow up my case.

Thanks

Hey @siamak__

I replied to the PM you sent us.  We'll continue with you there!

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @siamak__!

Features such as Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE will only work on eligible Android phones purchased from Fido. If your Pixel was purchased from Google it will unfortunately not work.

For RCS, do you have the Android Messages app installed?

We've also gotten back to your PM, we can continue there  Smiley

siamak__

That is not acceptable.

This phone is exactly same as the ones which Fido sells at store.

I am willing to pay any fees associated to make the VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling to function properly on my phone.

wrick
I'm a contributor level 1

You are correct.

This is unfortunately not very cool on Fido/Roger's part.

Google does NOT have different firmwares, or hardware for different carriers.

As per https://developers.google.com/android/images , the pixel 3 line does have a specific Verizon firmware.

I have been updated to 9.0.0 (PQ1A.181105.017.A1, Nov 2018), which is google's latest firmware for this phone.

Rogers/Fido do not push firmware updates for the Pixel line.  They are pushed by google.  

This being said, my case is still being worked on after a week, and today fido seems to have wifi calling and VoLTE working on my device ! Props to them ! It's just a bit sad that they have to do it individually.

RCS on the other hand is still not functionnal.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @wrick!

We're going to look into your RCS services, sending you a PM to get started!

wrick

keep it up ! Doing great so far.  HD voice just worked, and wi fi calling is active ! Superb.

Trimaican
I'm a participant level 1

Yes this "policy" is pretty outdated. I say keep trying to see if someone from tech support will even try to provision your device for VoLTE and wifi calling. That may work. But their policy is to not even try since it wasn't purchased through them directly. The device has 0 optimizations done when you buy direct from Rogers/Fido other than your imei is already loaded in their system as being from them.

One pro tip for RCS. If you go into your apps, there is an app called carrier service. Disable that then go into messages and try to enable the chat features in their settings/advanced settings. Once it sets up (hoping it does for you) go ahead and re-enable carrier services

The device is the same device @siamak__ however devices sold from Fido are optimised to work on our network. At this time VoLTE works on VoLTE-compatible devices originating on the Fido network for Fido and Wi-Fi calling for Androids works on the below devices when purchased from Fido:

• Google Pixel 2
  • Google Pixel 2 XL
  • Google Pixel 3
  • Google Pixel 3 XL
  • Huawei Mate20 Pro
  • LG G4 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • LG G5 (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • LG G6 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • LG Q6
  • LG V30
  • LG Xpower 2
  • Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)
  • Samsung Galaxy A8
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+
  • Samsung Galaxy S9 and Samsung Galaxy S9+

If anything in regards to this changes, then we'll update the Community and Fido.ca.

In terms of RCS, that should work. Do you have the Android Messages app installed?

siamak__

Yes, I have android Messages installed and updated

If both you and the person you are messaging have the service then it should work. If it does not please get back to our last PM and we can look into it.

nlavrush1

Hello,

I also have the same problem - bought Google Pixel 3 XL from Google and can't activate RCS feature on the latest version of Android Messages. You were referring to PM, can I ask what does it mean? Thank you!

We'll send you a private message to get this looked into as well. Keep an eye out on your inbox Smiley