cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about LTE calling and Data roaming

ZeroUrashima
I'm a contributor level 1

I was originally on a Sim Card without LTE and on prepaid but it was starting to bug me to not be able to get messages or call people when I am on the metro so I finally decided to get a LTE Sim Card and switched my account to it and I can't get into the 4G network.

I already have the LTE Access point set but I have Data Roaming Off and read somewhere I need to turn it on.

I want to know if I turn it on and make calls, will it use Data I need to pay for?
Also, I have Data Connection off, if I surf the net, will it be on WIFI or using the LTE network?
I don't want to test since I don't have a data plan, thanks for the help.

***Edited to add labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@ZeroUrashima wrote:

I was originally on a Sim Card without LTE and on prepaid but it was starting to bug me to not be able to get messages or call people when I am on the metro so I finally decided to get a LTE Sim Card and switched my account to it and I can't get into the 4G network.

I already have the LTE Access point set but I have Data Roaming Off and read somewhere I need to turn it on.

I want to know if I turn it on and make calls, will it use Data I need to pay for?
Also, I have Data Connection off, if I surf the net, will it be on WIFI or using the LTE network?
I don't want to test since I don't have a data plan, thanks for the help.

Hello ZeroUrashima,

Firstly, when you refer to 'metro' are you referring to an underground subway system? If so, I would agree with FidoSamantha in that various factors can impede the signal. Also, I'm not sure if LTE signals would penetrate better than either '3G' or 2G signals. It would all depend on the relation of where the different towers are situated and surrounding structures.

You mentioned that you also had problems calling people when on the metro. As far as I am aware, currently 'voice' calls do not use the LTE network. So those would rely on the 2G and '3G' networks.

You also mentioned that you are unable to get 4G (I'll assume for this purpose you're referring to LTE). Are you certain your phone is compatible with the frequencies that Fido/Rogers uses? It would be helpful to know what phone are you using? If possible, could you also note which version and where it was purchased?

Not all phones require data roaming to be on, but you're right, some international phones do.

I'm not sure if I completely understand the rest of your questions, but I'll try my best to answer...

Making calls does not use data, roaming or otherwise.

If you have data roaming on, but have a Fido SIM and you use data within Fido coverage then any data used will count against your data allotment.

However, if you have a Fido SIM and use the phone outside Fido coverage, then you will get charged roaming rates for both voice and data (if used). If you have data roaming off and used the phone outside Fido coverage, then you will get charged roaming rates for voice.

If you have 'Data Connection off' then the phone will not be able to access the mobile networks (EDGE, HSPA / HSPA+, or LTE) for data. You will need access to a WIFI location in order to surf the net.

Note: Data Connection off is not the same as Data Roaming off.

Before I get into a potentially lengthier explanation, perhaps you could forward your phone information to see if 'data roaming' is an issue.

Hope this is not too confusing and some of it helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi ZeroUrashima!

Indoor coverage is not guaranteed as various factors can impede the signal, even if you have LTE. 

Also note that LTE is not compatible with Prepaid services. If you place a phone call, it will use your airtime or balance depending on the plan you currently have. 

If you do not have a data option added onto your prepaid plan, you will not be able to use data unless you are connected to WIFI.

Hope this helps Smiley 

ZeroUrashima

Thanks, then I guess I wasted 11.50 to buy a new Sim Card for nothing...

@ZeroUrashima wrote:

Thanks, then I guess I wasted 11.50 to buy a new Sim Card for nothing...

Sounds like you're still on prepaid then? When you said you 'switched your account...' I assumed you meant switched to a monthly plan. You can disregard my previous post then.

MODS: feel free to delete this post and my previous post as they are not relevent.

Cheers

ZeroUrashima

Oh, I just meant I moved my phone number and account online to recharge my air time to the new Sim Card.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Cawtau wrote:
MODS: feel free to delete this post and my previous post as they are not relevent.

Cheers

We'll leave them there since you provided lots of information that may help others Smiley

Thanks Cawtau!