cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid voicemail from 587-737-0210

youngster811
I'm a participant level 2

I've been getting voice mail from this number recently and my account has been billed for each voicemail.  The number is unidentified and goes directly to voice mail.  I've tried adding the number to my blocked list but this doesn't work.   I'm on a pre-paid plan and I understood that I would be billed for my outgoing calls and texts, but not incoming.  To date, I have received 12 calls from this number and been billed a total of $3.01.  How do I fix this and get a refund?

7 REPLIES 7

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Youngster811,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your voicemail. As mentioned, that phone number is one of the voicemail access numbers for Western Canada. Are you getting calls from that number or is it possible it's notifying you have voicemail?

@youngster811 wrote:

...  I'm on a pre-paid plan and I understood that I would be billed for my outgoing calls and texts, but not incoming.  ...

It is unfortunate you have misunderstood the details of your plan. All calls -- incoming and outgoing -- would be considered airtime and count against any allotted minutes. Depending on the details of your plan, long-distance charges may also apply.

Since accessing voicemail involves calling into the message centre, airtime charges would also apply when retrieving your messages.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoVanessa

Hi @youngster811!

It seems that it's related to the voicemail retrieval number, and you shouldn't be charged to retrieve your voicemail while you are in your Local Calling Area. Other Community members had a similar issue with this phone number. I invite you to read this thread here

Depending on your device, could you please go in your settings and let us know what is the retrieval number set up in your settings? You can set up the correct number by following these steps:

On an Android: (instructions may vary based on the Operating System version)

1. Go to Settings > Call Settings > Voicemail Settings > Voicemail Number
  2. Enter the VMR Number (+1-416-821-6549)
  3. Save the settings

For all other phones:

• The VMR Number (+1-416-821-6549) can be programmed either in the voicemail settings or as a quick-dial or contact.
  • For further assistance with an unlocked or non-Fido phone, please consult the manufacturer of your device.

Let us know if that helped!

MCB_52
I'm a contributor level 2

Hi Vanessa,

Can you check the statement made above 'It seems that it's related to the voicemail retrieval number, and you shouldn't be charged to retrieve your voicemail while you are in your Local Calling Area '?

It appears that Prepaid clients do use airtime to check their Voicemail msgs. As such, Youngster811 is requiring a response on having lost 3$ of airtime due to the situation. 

If listening to our VM (Prepaid clients) does not in fact charge them (airtime or otherwise) please provide us the link. 

On a similar note, can Fido please clarify whether Prepaid clients are charged any $ to receive an MMS (photo), if they have a basic Prepaid plan? If so, what are the costs and where is this information available on your site?

Thank you in advance

Hello MCB_52,

While I don't wish to speak for FidoVanessa, I think she might have meant there shouldn't be additional charges to retrieve voicemail while in their LCA. Airtime would be charged:

Prepaid voicemail.jpg

~taken from Full Details here.

See also here.

While there are no additional charges retrieving voicemail while within one's LCA, long-distance and/or roaming charges would apply depending on travel situation and plan (see here).

As far as I am aware, accessing voicemail from another phone does not count as airtime. You can view how to access voicemail from a different phone here.

Unfortunately, I am not able to view any attached photo. However, as far as I am aware,  MMS should be included in the plans (see here, under Picture and video messaging (MMS)). That said, it's possible Fido has changed the details of their prepaid plan options. You should be able to view the details for your plan via your My Account.

If you would like to discuss the details of your particular plan, you would need to call the Prepaid customer support (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

MCB_52

Hi Cawtau,

Thank you for taking the time. It's clear you're very eager to help fellow Fido clients with just about any service or technical issue they may have. It's really impressive the time and dedication you've taken over the years, to promptly & effeciently assist those in the community here.

Hope everyone is grateful.

Just an FYI, the link you sent about Prepaid/MMS, brings the user back to the general MMS page (which winds up being the page for Postpaid subscribers). As such, still no answer on whether or not Prepaid Fido clients will pay a fee for receiving photos..

Secondly, you must never have had a Prepaid line with Fido. If so, you would know how sadly inept + unhelpful the whole support unit is. (Just see a post I added not 5 days ago, about deducting received text messages from one's 400 text bundle). How can any phone user reject/refuse/not accept an incoming sms??

Lastly, viewing one's Prepaid account details online is absolutely futile (see screen capture just taken from my account). For borderline tears, Cawtau, tell me whether my plan's "Evenings & weekend minutes" begin at 5pm or 7pm??

PS: Brought to Fido's attention in 2017. Even asked whether my nights are free at 5pm. We're 2022, still tell me they can't confirm for certain. SadScreen cap from online Prepaid account, May 2022Screen cap from online Prepaid account, May 2022

Hello again,

Glad to hear you found some of the information provided useful 😀

I did see your earlier post regarding the new Yearly plan. However, I didn't reply because I can't speak as to the details of the new plan. That said, I do believe the details on the website are indicated as intended. There is at least one other provider with similar plan details (ie 400 for both incoming and outgoing texts). I'm guessing that those details were chosen to make the Monthly plan options more appealing.

Thank you for providing the screen capture. I think the system is having an issue providing the proper details of the plan because they might have been changed over the years. I'm guessing the evenings and weekends used to start at 5pm when the plan was first offered and later changed to the later start time over the years. When the system was updated with the new start time, the old information in My Account was not removed for some reason. However, that is purely my speculation.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any reference as to which start time is the current detail for that plan. I don't believe any of the new plans include similar evenings and weekends offerings. That could be because many of the plans already include unlimited minutes. I understand some plans do have limited minutes and would benefit from such an offering. It's possibly an attempt to make other plans more appealing. Again, that's speculation.

As previously mentioned, if you would like to clarify the details of your plan and/or enquire about the details about the new Yearly plan, you would need to call the dedicated Prepaid customer support (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

youngster811

tried entering VMR number 1-416-821-6549 but keep getting busy signals. Also tried dialing *5005*86*16478396178# and screen faded but nothing allowed me to save setting.  PS: how do I get a refund of $3.01 that I was billed for the 587-737-0210 incoming calls to my voicemail?