Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid plan billing

plamenh
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,

I'm with prepaid 40¢ Anytime plan but recently I got on my transaction history a record saying "Call received outside your local area" and I was charged $0.80 for 32 seconds call?

Why is that?

***Edited to add Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@plamenh wrote:

Hi,

I'm with prepaid 40¢ Anytime plan but recently I got on my transaction history a record saying "Call received outside your local area" and I was charged $0.80 for 32 seconds call?

Why is that?

Hello Plamenh,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, a little note regarding roaming. In the most general of terms, roaming simply refers to accessing the network for services while outside of the geographical coverage area of your home area.

Outside of your home area can either refer to outside of your local calling area (LCA) or outside of your home network (Fido/Rogers).

In your case, it refers to outside your LCA. The significance of this type of roaming is whether calls will be deemed local or long-distance (LD). It's helpful to differentiate between incoming and outgoing calls.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number. It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you're standing.

Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD (IRM). Making calls while roaming (ROM) can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

Since you received a call while you were outside of your LCA, it was considered LD. With the 40¢ Anytime plan, long distance charges are 40¢ per minute in addition to the regular airtime charge (see full details here). Since charges are per minute, you would still get charged the same amount for one minute or less than one minute.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

plamenh

Hi Cawtau,

Thank you for the clarification.

One more thing - the link the you gave doesn't work. Here is where I found the details:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/PrepaidPlans/Plans

after expanding "See full details" on the bottom of the page, point 4.

@plamenh wrote:

... the link the you gave doesn't work. Here is where I found the details:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/PrepaidPlans/Plans

after expanding "See full details" on the bottom of the page, point 4.

Hello again,

Oops, my apologies! Thanks for posting a working link!

Cheers