cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting in a number from the 404 area code

thirstyturtle18
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello, I joined Fido about 3 weeks ago and got a new number assigned from FIDO just to test out the network and see if I was going to stay. I have had a great experience with FIDO so far and have deceided to stay with them for the long term, and thus would like to port over my main number that I have been using for over 10 years. I can't seem to find the section of the website where I can port my main number over top of the number I no longer need. Also, I just want to be reassured that I can port in my number, which is from the 404 area code, from T-mobile to Fido.

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Thirstyturtle18,

Welcome to the community!

You can find information regarding porting a number here. Unfortunately, however, I do not believe it would be possible to port your old 404 area code number from T-Mobile as it is a US-based number and is not a Canadian area code (see here and here).

If you wish to keep your US number, people have suggested porting the number to a US VOIP service and then forwarding the calls/messages to your new number. That said, there may be FCC regulations requiring a US billing address for that to be accomplished. There are other services which allow people to simply park the numbers for a period of time if they plan on returning to the US in the future.

I have not done an exhaustive search on how one might keep a phone number after moving abroad. You might consider searching for other possible methods yourself.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

thirstyturtle18

My 404 area code number is important for me to keep because I have a lot of friends and family in the Atlanta Georgia area, and also use that number on my business cards. I thought it should be possible to port that number because Canada and the USA share the same phone numbering system (North America Numbering Plan - NANP). Every 10 digit number in Canada and the USA is a unique number, so I don't see why it can't be done. I called Fido and they won't do it for me. This is very disapointing. Are there any other options?

Hello again,

I understand your disappointment since many of us also get quite attached to our phone numbers. It's true both Canada and the US share the North America Numbering Plan. In fact, Canadian and US toll-free numbers (ie 1-800, 1-877, etc) might be based in either country. However, each country has their own regulatory authority -- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the US and Canadian Numbering Administration Consortium (CNAC) in Canada. A Canadian telecommunications provider will not be able to provide service for a US area code. Similarly, a US telecommunications provider won't be able to provide service for a Canadian area code.

In addition, since your phone number is from the US, the 404 area code would still be considered long-distance (LD) if dialled from Canada. It isn't possible to make one phone number from that area code local to Canada (and therefore likely LD to US) while the rest of the area code remained LD. I understand there are situations where people have kept their Canadian phone numbers when moving within Canada. The same issue remains, though. After moving, the phone numbers will still be based in their city of origin. That is, the phone number would be considered LD at the new location and local from where they moved. Given Canadian long-distance is now included with most plans from Fido, this issue may be moot if moving within Canada. Still, however, people at the new location would have to make LD calls to that phone number.

As mentioned above, the only options I have come across involve porting the number to a VOIP service and forwarding them to a Canadian phone number.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers