Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port request and when does the billing start following a line activation

Prithu
I'm a participant level 3

Now to FIDO and what a fantastic start 

My family phones from Bell and Rogers were soon to be out of contract and FIDO had a good BYOD deal and planned to port over 4 phones. Three succeeded and the fourth did not.

The Fido store in Walmart was happy to help and Amit eager to collect his activation commission. He was not forthcoming with contractual details and when asked always said ‘everything is ok’.  

The process of porting a number happens in several steps, they set up a contract with a temporary number, once your number is released (SMS verification) it replaces the temporary number and you are good to go.

In my case, one of the four numbers had a technical glitch and the number could not be ported. I loaded the app on my phone one home and noticed that the temp number had become an active line without the port.

The next day, the first thing I called customer service, explained the situation and they canceled the line. Everything seemed to be good.

The second thing, I got the bill and was charged $45 for activation and $45 + TAX for the month for the failed number port the SIM card never entered my phone and I remain with Rogers.

Was never told that I would be charged for a failed port at the store. Interesting to see how FIDO charges for a service that has not competed. Of course, customer service was very polite but did nothing hence this post.

I’m sure others have been caught in this and surprised that Walmart allows their reputation to be diminished, as for FIDO’S reputation it speaks for itself.

6 REPLIES 6

FidoVan

Hi there Prithu!

Welcome to the Community!

Like @Cawtau said, a port request is completed in several steps and there is no actual charge for the port, whether it worked or not.

The $45 you are referring to are admin fees for the activation of your lines and the billing starts on the initial activation date.

We're really sorry if this information wasn't properly explained to you upon activation. Should you have any unresolved concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us through our servicing channels for assistance or we can also send you a PM here on the community. ​​​​​

Prithu

Thank you for the reply, irrespective of the steps FIDO has to take for a number to be ported - (in my case the SIM card never entered my phone) I would like to see FIDOs policy where FIDO can charge for a service without actually delivering one.

One would assume if the service is not delivered you don't pay ...

Would you go to a car wash to have your car washed, pay them and then they don't wash your car ...but you still pay ... only to hear about some process... kinda funny

I'm sure there is a grace period after signing a contract in a store when it comes to phone plans as well if the service has not been used.... 

Would like to see the policy where failed FIDO services are indeed charged as well as CRTC actually approving such behaviour.

Hello again,

@Prithu wrote:...FIDO can charge for a service without actually delivering one.

One would assume if the service is not delivered you don't pay ...

...failed FIDO services are indeed charged....

You keep referring to Fido charging for failed services. That is not the case. By your own admission:

@Prithu wrote: ...I loaded the app on my phone one home and noticed that the temp number had become an active line without the port...

The line was successfully activated with the temporary phone number. There is no irrespective of the steps. The first step provided you with the phone line. It doesn't matter that the SIM was never put in the phone. The service start date occurs when you initially activated the line, not when you first use the services (see Terms & Conditions; section 2b). Once the line is active, you pay for the services whether you use them or not. You could activate a line and not put the SIM in a device for six months; you would still be responsible for paying for the six months of service.

That said, Fido does have a Satisfaction Guarantee. I understand you cancelled that line. If you cancelled the line after that bill was generated, any refund for that line would not be reflected in that bill.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Prithu,

Welcome to the community!

@Prithu wrote:..Was never told that I would be charged for a failed port at the store. Interesting to see how FIDO charges for a service that has not competed...

To clarify, I don't think there is a charge to port phone numbers. As you note, the process happens in several steps. The first step is for you to set up account(s) for the lines you want ported over from Rogers. Normally, the phone numbers associated with those accounts would be your new phone numbers. However, when wishing to keep your old phone numbers, the ones assigned are only temporary. The activation fee is for the set-up of the new lines and phone numbers (temporary in your case). Once the lines have been established, they can then request to port your old phone number from your previous provider.

I understand one of your phone numbers failed to port-over for some reason. However, the line had already been created and was available for you to use, albeit with a temporary phone number. The activation fee was for the creation of the phone line, not a phone number port-over.

If you would like to re-attempt to port the phone number or discuss the charges, you would need to contact customer service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted

above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Prithu

This was not resolved and don't agree with your processes.

Moved all the numbers to Vergin .. and they don't charge for a failed port ...  and they waved the activation charge... and there is more but would let the readership decide.

Hope others have a better experience than me. 

We're sorry to read that @Prithu