cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On 2 year contract - cost to upgrade to own hardware?

eithnesummers
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I want to upgrade to an iPhone 11 128G. The cost of doing so on the 2 year plan I got in February 2019 (now November 2019) is cost prohibitive. I have to pay the device balance of $362.50. My best offer is $110 up front and an increase in my plan from $50 to $100 (total fee for 2 years (phone, plan, buy-out) is $2872.50 plus taxes). If I move to Freedom the same cost is $2491.50 (including buy-out of $362.50). If I buy the phone outright it is only $1,049 plus taxes plus my current plan fee (total $2249.00).

1. What if any charge is there to upgrade with my own hardware? 

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Eithnesummers,

Welcome to the community!

How many months do you have left on your current contract? There are no additional charges to upgrade your own device. If you purchase your new phone outright, you would need to continue with your current plan for the remaining duration of the contract (unless you buyout your contract).

With subsidised plans, the subsidy is incorporated into the plans (ie Large, Small, etc). Once your contract has completed (or bought-out), the subsidy remains should you wish to subsidise another devices. However, you could choose to change your plan to a BYOP plan.  You should note that you would have to choose a BYOP plan which is in-market at the time you wish to change plans. The details of those plans may or may not be the same as your current plan. It is not possible to keep your plan and merely remove the subsidy.

You should also note that if you did switch to a BYOP plan and later wish to subsidise another device, you would again need to switch to a plan which is in-market at the time you decide to change plans.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @eithnesummers,

There is no charge if you want to use your own phone. If you want to buy the phone outright elsewhere and use it with Fido you can do so at anytime.