cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number change for home phone with port in

519705wherenext
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I am trying to solve a problem and unfortunately the solution may lead me away from Fido.  Since I am trying to stay with Fido let's give this a try.  I have a 519 cell number that I have had for years, a few years ago I brought it to Fido.  I do not want to lose it but I am ending up with extra expenses as a result.  I also have a home phone service with Fido, it has a 705 number.  So I am often in two places at once, this is my life.  What I would like to do is port the 519 number to my home phone.  The point is, I would like to keep that number and basically park it where I can still check messages.  I can do this economically by porting my 519 cell number to another service where for $15 / month I can maintain minimal service with forwarding to my Fido 705 number included, but that kind of leads me toward changing service providers altogether which I am trying to avoid.  I also now have a third number, a 705 cell with another provider I have been testing, so I do have one foot out the door.  Before I do that however, I want to give this one last try.  What I really want to know is can I change my Fido home phone number with a port in?  It would be helpful if you could answer that question as then I believe I can figure out the steps to get to where I want to be with all my services still at Fido.

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello 519705wherenext,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure you'll be able to port your 519 phone number to your home phone since 519 and 705 have different local calling areas (see here). I understand it's possible with cellular phones however, I believe the situation is different with home phone service.

Are you sure the other provider is aware your 519 phone number is from a different local calling area?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @519705wherenext,

Unfortunately, you can not move numbers between lines within Fido.

If the number at the new provider that you are testing is not important you can port the number there.

If service with the other provider does not work out then you can port it to the Fido home phone.

Another option is to port the number to a VoIP provider and then forward all calls.

There are a few free VoIP service but some charges a small fee to port the number.